Travel on the Glacier Express Train with your private tour guide. Enjoy a round trip by train and spend 4-hours on the panoramic first class coach from Chur to Brig, crossing 291 bridges and 91 tunnels.
What to Expect
Your tour itinerary is completely flexible and can be arranged with your private guide in advance. Below is a sample itinerary to give you a few ideas.
Example Glacier Express Train tour itinerary:
Meet your tour guide at your per-arranged time and place, probably your hotel. Start with a transfer from Zurich to Chur, taking about an hour. Chur is the capital town of the canton "Graubünden" and reputedly the oldest town in Switzerland. A walk around in the old town proves this declaration as you'll pass old houses and churches. After the city walk, head back to the train station where the Glacier Express Train awaits us.
Take a seat behind the large panoramic windows on your first class compartment. The train continues in the direction of Diesentis through the "Grand Canyon of Switzerland," the source area of the Rhein river. The train passes closely between rocks and the river - one of the highlights of this train travel. During the journey from Chur to Diesentis, lunch will be served at your seat. From Disentis, the train engages the coghwheel now and is climbing up from 1600m above sea level to the "Operalp" pass on 2033m above sea level. Once the top is reached, the train descends down to 1440m above sea level within 20 minutes. The train will arrive in Andermatt and stops there for 20 minutes, a perfect time to take some pictures of the train. Andermatt is a small village in the canton of "Uri" surrounded by mountains and now a tourist attraction with the new 5-star-hotel "Chedi."
The journey continues through the 15 kilometer long "Furka" base tunnel constructed in 1982 to save travel time from Brig to Andermatt. You will travel through the “Goms” valley in the direction of Brig. This valley is known as a destination for hiking (summer time) and winter sports. After 2-hours travel time from Andermatt, arrive in Brig. At Brig, leave the Glacier Express Train and take a little time to have a walk through the pedestrian zone in Brig. You will see the place where the water level was 4 meters high in 1993 and the local river flooded the city center.
From Brig, you'll take the long distance train heading to Zurich. Passing the Alps by a 34 kilometers long train tunnel, travel along Lake Thun through Bern towards Zurich where the tour ends.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges (Reductions for Swiss Rail Pass holders apply if option selected at time of booking)
- Local and professional guide
- Headphones on board "Glacier-Express" with further information
- Your own booklet with information about the journey
- First class train travel on the Glacier-Express route Chur-Brig
Know Before You Go
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
• After booking your tour guide will contact you to discuss your preferences and interests
• The logistics will be arranged in advance
• Minimum age is 16 years-old
• A minimum of 2 persons per booking is required