Guided Cycling Tour of York
- Learn about the history with a good humoured look at the fascinating and often grisly past of York
- Cycle along river paths, parks and quiet back streets of the city with frequent stops
- Cycle to places that walking and bus tours don't take you at speeds of 1,000 years an hour
York has always been a magnet for visitors. There were the Romans, of course, who first settled in the area in AD 71. In the 9th century, the Vikings dropped in for an eventful 200-year stay. The year 1068 saw the arrival of the besieging forces of William the Conqueror, and in the 17th century, York was a hotspot in the English Civil War.
Although today’s residents much more fun to be around, those of the past have all left their marks and their stories. Although factual, the cycle tours are designed as a good-humored look at the fascinating and often grisly past of York. The tours take about 2 hours, and our average traveling speed is 900 years an hour.
- Guided 2 to 2.5 hours bike tour
- Bike (with bell and mudguards)
- Children under 12 years
Prepare for the activity
(Rear of) The Gillygate Pub, 48 Gillygate, York YO31 7EQ. There is a pathway to the right of the pub that leads to the patio area. Your guide and bike(s) will be waiting for you back there.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Weather-appropriate clothing
• Is the tour suitable for children? The minimum age for riders is 12 years, and 12 to 16-year-olds must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Sorry, no exceptions. It is also recommended that ‘soon-to-be-mums' avoid the tour as a precautionary measure.
• What time should I turn up for the tour? Please arrive at least 15 to 20 minutes before your tour’s scheduled departure time. This will give you time to get acquainted with your bike and to finalize payment if you haven’t already done so online. • If you are unavoidably delayed, please call to and the tour will do its best to wait, though, in fairness to other riders, we can’t guarantee it.
• What do I need to bring? Comfortable riding clothes to match the weather, closed shoes are recommended.