Vilnius: 2.5-Hour Jewish Quarter Walking Tour
- Explore the narrow winding streets of the former Jewish Quarter
- Learn why Vilnius became known as "Jerusalem of Lithuania"
- Hear the fascinating life-story of the famous Jewish scholar Vilna Gaon
- Visit the only surviving synagogue in Vilnius
- Find out what is left of the Great Synagogue of Vilna
Gaze at photos of the past, depicting what was once a vibrant Jewish community in Vilnius. After this, you will go to see the site of the Great Synagogue of Vilna and the area where Vilna Gaon used to live. Learn how during World War II the Jewish quarter was divided into two ghettos. Visit both ghettos and learn about Nazi rule in Vilnius. After this, learn about the fate of the Vilnius Jewish community during the communist era and after the independence of Lithuania.
If it's open, have the chance to visit the Vilnius Choral Synagogue. Afterwards, your guide will take you back to the area of the Big Ghetto to finish your tour near the Jewish Cultural and Information Centre for further exploration or bring you back to the starting point of the tour.
- Guided walking tour
- Entrance to Vilnius Choral Synagogue (1€ fee)
Prepare for the activity
Look for the guide with a yellow bag and a yellow "Join us! Jewish Vilnius tour" sign in front Vilnius town hall (Didzioji g. 31). Guides usually wait on the left side on the stairs in front of Tourist Information Center.Open in Google Maps ⟶