Koalas and Kangaroos In the Wild: Day Tour with Lunch
From $162 per personBook now
- Meet wild koalas that are part of a research project and learn about their lives
- Learn to find and approach wild kangaroos without disturbing them
- Visit a national park and a private conservation reserve, both of which are home to a rich diversity of native wildlife
- Enjoy short bushwalks through typical Aussie Bushland
- Feast on a substantial, healthy lunch under the gum trees
- Protect wild koalas by removing an invasive weed that threatens their survival
Depart from Melbourne in the morning, driving 45 minutes to the bushland of You Yangs National Park. Take a very easy walk through the gum trees, searching for koalas, wallabies, kangaroos, and birds in their natural setting.
Your guide will point out plants and features of interest, explain some of the history of the area and, when possible, introduce you to known, named koalas that are part of a research project. At one of 5 boneseed-removal sites, stop for 5 minutes to remove some of these noxious weeds to improve the koala habitat.
The picnic lunch is served under the gum trees. After lunch we drive 10 minutes to Serendip conservation reserve. Walk through the gum trees and across grasslands in search of wild mobs of Eastern Grey Kangaroos. Sometimes, you find them before they see you, and you have the chance to watch natural kangaroo social behaviour. Other times they are more alert, and you can enjoy the magnificent sight of a wild mob hopping, fast and powerful, but silent.
- Wildlife Guide
- Entry fees
- Round-trip transportation
- Shared compact binoculars
- Picnic lunch of sandwiches, fruit, cakes, water & Billy Tea.
- Note: Vegetarian, pork-free or gluten-free food must be requested at time of booking (or any other special food preferences). All food is prepared in advance and carried on board the tour vehicle. There are no shops en route.
Choose the closest pick-up spot and confirm with the supplier at time of booking: 8:10 Langham Hotel (1 Southgate Avenue Southbank) 8:15 Crown Promenade Hotel (8 Whiteman St, Southbank) 8:40 Rydges Melbourne Hotel (186 Exhibition St, Melbourne City) 8:45 Swanston Grand Mercure Hotel (195 Swanston St, Melbourne City) 9:00 Holiday Inn on Flinders Hotel (575 Flinders Lane/corner Spencer St, Melbourne City) 9:30 You Yangs National Park front entrance (Branch Rd, Little River) Note: not all pick-up points will be used each day, so please confirm with the supplier. (Open in Google Maps)
What to bring: Strong, fully enclosed walking shoes or boots that completely cover your feet (sandals are not recommended), outdoor clothing to suit variable weather conditions (please check the weather forecast for accurate predictions), sun hat, rainproof coat, insect repellent, 15+ sunscreen and a 1-liter water bottle. Camera and binoculars are recommended.
This tour operates in all weather conditions. Rainy days can be excellent for wildlife viewing. There are a limited number of umbrellas on board the vehicle, but it is recommended that guests bring a waterproof jacket.
Product ID: 36864