Visit Australia's home to the criminally insane, and Ararat's most visited attraction: the J Ward Lunatic Asylum. Explore the museum, followed by a ghost tour of the home of notorious criminals including Chopper Read, Gary Webb and William Wallace.
About this ticket
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration 2 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Instant confirmation
Select participants and date
J Ward is 2.5-hour drive from Melbourne, with free street car parking. J Ward is a 10-minute walk from Ararat Train Station • Turn right down Birdwood Avenue towards the town centre • Turn right up Queen Street • Turn left down Girdlestone Street • J Ward is located at the end of the street on the right-hand sideOpen in Google Maps ⟶
Know before you go
- There are steps, so unfortunately people with mobility restrictions will not be able to access all areas.
- This is a slow, walking tour so the ability to walk at a slow pace for up to 2 hours is required.
- Minimum age is 12 years old.