Venice St. Mark’s Basilica After Hours: 1.5-Hour Tour
From $90 per personBook now
- Enjoy after-hours access to St. Mark’s Basilica, Venice’s most popular landmark
- Explore special areas not usually seen by visitors
- Marvel at the 43,000 square feet of illuminated mosaics that are even more breathtaking at night
Hear how the Basilica received its precious relics via a 9th-century kidnapping. Passersby will wonder where you are going as a custodian unlocks the Basilica’s doors for you to enter.
Inside, take a deep breath as you experience St. Mark’s Basilica as almost no one else ever has ever been able to, aside from the doge himself. There is no standing elbow-to-elbow with other tourists and no noise from the crowds. Instead, you are alone with your guide and the custodian.
Experience the Basilica as it should be experienced: in tranquility and peace. You can even go where others, visiting during the day, cannot. See the crypt where the bones of St. Mark are said to actually be kept. Plus, you can see the walls stained by the past floods that have devastated Venice. The crypt used to be flooded every time high tide hit the city.
The evening is also the best time to visit because it is the time of day that the mosaics are at their most beautiful. All 43,000 square feet are illuminated, glimmering and sparkling in the dark.
Your guide for this tour is an expert, passionate about Venetian art and history and about sharing it with you in the most fun way possible. Hear the tale of how St. Mark’s became St. Mark’s, a story that pivots on a kidnapping and a dangerous sea voyage. Learn where the precious marbles decorating St. Mark’s really come from on a 1-hour tour that will leave you with lasting memories.
- After-hours access to St. Mark’s Basilica
- Expert local tour guide
- Hotel pick-up/drop off
Meeting Point: Just outside the entrance of the Correr Museum on Piazza San Marco, 30124 Meeting Point Directions: On St. Mark's square at the opposite side of the Basilica you will find the Correr Museum entrance underneath the portico.
• The Basilica is a holy place and attire must be appropriate: Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Your tour operator cannot be held responsible for entry denied due to improper dress
• The prisons and the armory of the Doge's Palace are not wheelchair accessible
• Backpacks are prohibited inside St. Mark's Basilica
• Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
• This tour operates rain or shine. However, occasionally St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace are closed to the public, without previous notice, due to high tides or particular festivities
• If you select the option that includes the Doge's Palace, there will be a short break (15-30 minutes) between your visit to the Doge’s Palace and your after-hours tour of St. Mark’s Basilica
• The maximum size of this small group tour is 15 participants
Product ID: 53660