Explore Venice's St. Mark's Cathedral and connected museum. Learn how the monumental structure was constructed, then climb up to the Cathedral's lodge, where you can see St. Mark's square from above.
What to Expect
This tour features all of the most beautiful points of St. Mark’s Museum and Cathedral while giving you a unique and wonderful vantage point. See this Venetian masterpiece from above and discover its true beauty.
The tour starts at St. Mark’s Museum. Scale models show how the Basilica was originally built, and you’ll see how it appeared to visitors and worshippers in years past.
St. Mark’s Cathedral is famous for its mosaics, and you’ll have ample time to admire them and see how they were crafted with the help of panels illustrating the time-honored techniques and a presentation. This will be a more private presentation that will take place away from crowds, later in the tour.
Next it is on to the beautiful ancient hall of the Venice Doge’s Palace. This palace houses ancient tapestries that were used in the Cathedral during important liturgical celebrations. A tour that includes magnificent works of art like the mosaics and tapestries would not be complete without a visit to the 4 gilded bronze horses. These are Hellenic Greek masterpieces and are the symbol of the Cathedral.
The grand finale of the tour is in the Cathedral’s lodge. Admire St. Mark’s Square from above; get a beautiful, panoramic view. The guide describes all the main buildings that surround this, Venice’s most famous square.
- Guided tour of the Cathedral
- Entry to St. Mark’s Cathedral without waiting in line
- Entry to St. Mark’s Cathedral Museum
Know Before You Go
• Please arrive at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before the tour departure time.
• Access to the Basilica is only permitted to visitors with suitable attire (no shorts or vest or tops); backpacks are not allowed for safety reasons.
• The Procuratoria di San Marco reserves the right to PROHIBIT access to the basilica at any time and without notice for reasons of force majeure or safety.
• In cases of extra liturgical ceremonies, exceptional high tides or other special occasions, access to St Mark's Basilica may not be permitted and therefore the tour will not take place.
• No credit or refunds will be given in the case of a no-show.
• This is a collective tour, which means there might be other participants on the tour with you.
• Wheelchair users and those with mobility difficulties may not be able to access the whole tour.
• The tour is bilingual English/Italian, so explanations are provided in two languages if the audience provenience is mixed.