Art History Walking Tour of VeniceProduct ID: 14933
From $117.60 per personBook now
- Meet the Masters Titian, Tintoretto and Bellini
- Learn about Italian art through the centuries
- Visit the Suola of San Giovanni Evangelist
Part of the beauty of Venice is its wealth of art still in-situ. During this tour, your guide will focus on the churches and scuole of the San Polo sestiere. We will spend a significant amount of time examining Tintoretto's artwork here, both in terms of style and in the context of the confraternity.
At the Chiesa dei Frari, built by the Franciscans, learn about the importance of artistic commissions in the life of Renaissance Venetians as you gain insight into this microcosm of Venetian art and history from the 14th century onwards.
In the church, see two important altarpieces by Titian, The Assumption of Mary and the Madonna of Ca' Pesaro, as well as works by Bellini and Donatello. Here, you will also be able to compare and contrast the work of Titian with his forefather, Giovanni Bellini.
As you view the many works of art on this tour, your guide will teach you about the social history of Venice, including the role of the scuole in Venetian life, the effects of the plague, and the competition between artists for important commissions.
- Knowledgeable tour guide
- Admission to Scuola di San Rocco (EUR 10)
- Admission to Chiesa dei Frari (EUR 3)
Meet your docent in front of Caffè dei Frari, which is located at 2564 San Polo (Fondamenta dei Frari). Nearest vaporetto stop: San Tomà (lines 1 and 2) (Open in Google Maps)
• Those traveling between November and March are recommended to bring along rubber boots in case there is "acqua alta" (high water) in Venice during this time
• Walks can be canceled up to 48 hours prior to the walk with an 85% refund
• Within 48 hours, all reservations are final and cannot be refunded
• Walks are held rain or shine, with some variations to accommodate the weather
• If you are running late, please call the tour operator to alert them so that they can relay the message to your docent
• No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are non-refundable
• You will be visiting several churches during this visit, so shoulders should be covered and shorts and skirts should not come to more than 1 inch above the knee
Product ID: 14933