Tokyo: Small-Group Grand Sumo Tournament Viewing
- Share the excitement while your expert sumo guide gives you real-time commentary on each bout
- Ask the English-speaking guide any questions as the bouts unfold
- See bouts by wrestlers of the highest ranks in the sumo mecca
To get the most out of this tournament, the local guide will share some "homework" with guests before the event. After your booking, the local partner will send you some online materials to help you be better prepared for the spectacle.
On the day of the tournament, meet the guide at Ryogoku Station for a quick, 30-minute refresher session. Then, walk through the impressive tournament venue, Ryogoku Kokugikan, and admire the memorabilia in the museum while listening to stories from the guide.
After getting familiar with the venue, you will be seated either closer to the ring in seat A or further back in seat B, depending on which option you chose. Regardless of the seat, you will see exactly the same program: approximately 20 bouts by top-division wrestlers with live commentary in English.
You will be seated at around 3:30 to watch the program unfold:
3:40 PM – Ring entering ceremony by Makuuchi (top division) wrestlers
3:55 PM – Ring entering ceremony by Yokozuna (grand champion) wrestlers
5:55 PM – Final bout of the day
This tour is bookable for the following dates in 2020:
May 25 - 29, June 1 - 5, Sep. 14 -18, Sep. 21 -25
- Admission fees to the tournament
- Real-time commentary in English
- Gratuities (Guides will not accept them)
- Information package with tournament information
- Hotel pick up and drop-off
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meet the local guide outside the ticket gate of the west exit of Ryogoku Station on JR East Sobu Line. The station number is JB 21. The guide will be holding a recognizable sign. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the activity.Open in Google Maps ⟶