Explore Historical Kitakata With Local Experiences
From $184.41 per personBook now
- Enjoy the authentic Kitakata ramen, one of Japan's Three Greatest ramen noodles
- Stroll around the town of Kitakata and discover and experience its history and culture - you will find picturesque KURA around you
- Get close with Japanese local life through the homestaying and farming experience
When the Great Fire of Kitakata broke out in 1880, only KURA survived the fire and many of buildings were built by KURA style afterwards. At present day in Kitakata, there are over 4,000 KURA built all over the town - from main streets to back alleys, the largest number of KURA in Japan and many of them still in use. On this tour, you have the privilege of visiting inside of these KURA with your English-speaking guide. You will see a variety of KURA during the tour – from saka gura (KURA for sake brewery), shonin yashiki (KURA used as living quarter by merchant) and jozo moto (KURA for soy source brewery).
A Sample Itinerary
11:20 Meet a guide at Kitakata Station (About 90 minutes train ride from JR Koriyama station.)
- This tour is also available on bicycles.
- Enjoy Kitakata ramen noodle, or local gourmet cooked from locally grown products at a restaurant with traditional atmosphere.
Visit kura yashiki
- Visit kura yashiki (KURA used as living quarter) of successful merchants who built fortune by various business such as silk-reeling, soy bean paste production and soy source brewery. Enjoy one of the largest and most splendid KURA in Kitakata.
Visit sembei specialty store
- Try and experience sembei (rice cracker) making. With over 100 years of history, you will see sembei grilled over charcoal one by one by hand at the store.
Visit unique KURA style temple
- In Kitakata, you will find even temple is KURA style. The main hall of the temple was re-constructed by KURA style after it was destroyed by the Great Fire of Kitakata. It is not easy to find such temple in other parts of Japan.
Take a break at wagashi sweets shop
- Relax and enjoy wagashi sweets of yokan (jellied dessert made of adzuki bean paste), manju (steamed bun) and many others at a shop build by KURA style with irori, sunken floor hearth.
Visit saka gura from Edo-period
- Sip, taste and learn about the marvels of sake brewery at one of saka gura with over 200 years of history.
Visit shoyu gura
- This shoyu gura, KURA used as soy source brewery, is made of persimmon trees and bricks. Many of KURA in Kitakata are soil lacquered and only privileged merchants were able to build such KURA with their fortune. If you are lucky, you may get to taste their soy source.
Visit shikki store
- Handmade by craftsperson, admire beauty of Aizu shikki, lacquer ware painted with region's original techniques. You can also create your own -paint furin (wind-bell), hand mirror, chop sticks or uchiwa (fan) with one of Aizu shikki technique called maki-e.
* Tour schedule may change should you wish to try maki-e."
Tour finished at 17:30. Betwen 17:30 and 18:00 you'll head to your place of accommodation.
Check-in is at 18:00.
- You will stay at Minshuku run by local farming family - Japanese style inn.
- You will have a chance to sleep on the tatami mats
Between 9:00 - 12:30 you'll have a cultural experience and lunch
*End time might be varied between 11:30 and 13:30 depends on your requested experience.
Get close Japanese local life unique experience with local people.
Selectable cultural experience:
-Stroll in Oguni-numa Pond with local guide:
You will stroll the beautiful wetlands of Fukushima best in the mountains where about 280 species of alpine plants bloom in a year
-Vegetable harvest and cooking experience:
Harvest a lot of Japanese vegetables with local famer and cook local Japanese foods on your own.
-Making Soba noodle experience:
The professional Soba chef will kindly teaches you A to Z of making Soba noodle.
- Guide (1st day)
- Admission fee to facilities
- Lunch on the second day
- Transportation fee to and from meeting point
- Lunch on the first day
JR line Kitakata station Tokyo station→Koriyama station→Kitakata station. 1. Take the bullet train from Tokyo station to Koriyama station. (About 90 min. ride) 2. Take JR Banetsusai line from Koriyama station to Kitakata station (About 90 min. ride) (Open in Google Maps)
Product ID: 71321