10. From Queenstown: 2 Day Fiordland National Park Adventure
The ultimate small group Fiordland combo experience combining a premium Cheeky Kiwi Travel tour to the top Highlights around Te Anau & Milford Sound, a Milford Sound boutique cruise, your choice of a Milford Track day walk or a Milford Sound kayaking experience, Overnight accommodation in Te Anau and a picnic lunch all from Queenstown. This tour is the ultimate way to do the Fiordland region right.
1. Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu - Your tour starts in the stunning city of Queenstown. Your guide will point out highlights while setting the scene for the day. As we wind our way around Lake Wakatipu, with amazing views of ‘The Remarkables’ Mountain Range and the lake, stopping for photos is a must.
2. Lake Te Anau – After more amazing views we arrive in Te Anau, home to Lake Te Anau, NZ’s second largest lake. Here we stop for a break before starting the Highlights Tour and making our way to Lake Te Anau, exploring the edges and visiting our favourite spot.
3. Te Anau Bird Sanctuary - We continue to the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary for a guided tour and to see some of the rarest birds in the country including the Takahe and Kaka. You will learn about these animals and local environment while exploring this Te Anau asset.
4. Dead Marshes & Rainbow Reach - We visit our first famous LOTR attraction, a viewpoint looking over The Dead Marshes from an elevated position. At Rainbow Reach a cable bridge over the Waiau River (known as The River Anduin in LOTR) leads us into the forest and Kepler Track.
5. Lake Manapouri - Gateway to the Doubtful Sounds, explore the shores of this crystal-clear lake and hearing about its history including the construction of the Manapouri hydro dam, the largest in the country. Then have a quick break at a local coffee shop.
6. Mavora Lakes - Next we make our way to one of the most famous LOTR sights and hidden gems of the region, Mavora Lakes. Enjoy free time to explore, eat lunch or act out some LOTR scenes!
7. Te Anau - We return to Te Anau to check you into your accommodation and free time for the afternoon.
8. Fiordland National Park - Visit Eglington Valley, Mirror Lakes, Lake Gunn, Hollyford River, Falls Creek, the Darran Mountains and Homer Tunnel on the way to Milford Sound.
9. Milford Sound - Board your cruise with Cruise Milford, TripAdvisors No. 1 Cruise operator in Milford Sound. Offering a boutique cruise on a smaller, less crowded boat and with a crew that gives an informative and personal tour, this tour brings you closer to wildlife and nature. Unbeatable
10. Mitre Peak - While on the boat cruise you will be able to marvel at the awe-inspiring Mitre Peak, the iconic Milford Sound mountain.
11. Pop's View Lookout, Te Anau and Queenstown - - After your cruise, do not fear the adventure is not over, there is the return journey with many more amazing stops.