Travel through the beautiful landscapes of the upper Alentejo region over the course of 8-hours. Walk through the village of Marvão viewing the neighboring castle and shops. Stroll on the remains of the once thriving ancient Roman city of Ammaia.
What to Expect
Your tour begins at 08:30 with a pick-up from your hotel. This ensures enough time to enjoy your day without any hurry. This private tour is provided mainly with the objective of showing Marvão, Castelo de Vide, and the Roman ruins of Ammaia, nevertheless, this itinerary can be changed to best suit your preferences. Upon meeting your driver, start heading northeast, directly to the upper Alentejo region. There, you will start the tour by visiting Castelo de Vide, a small, yet picturesque town where you can visit the main castle. If time allows, shop for local handicrafts in the markets with other residents. Afterwards, make your way to the medieval village of Marvão, that resides on the top of the São Mamede Mountain. Here, you will take a walk through the medieval streets and visit the castle and the most important locations of the village.
After lunch, proceed down to visit the remains of the Roman city of Ammaia and its museum. Then, pay a visit to Niza, home of one of the most exquisite and singular cheeses of Portugal. Just before you begin your return to Lisbon, you will pass by the beautiful and natural landscape of Vila Velha de Ródão. There, the river Tagus passes through the carved mountains in a place known as Portas de Ródão. Return to your accommodations by 18:00 to end the day.
- Guided tour
- Bottled water/ refreshments
- Private vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
What's Not Included
- Personal expenses
- Entrance fees
Know Before You Go
• Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
• Don’t forget your sunglasses and a hat
• Sunscreen is highly recommended at all times, but specially from March to October
• Please provide the name of at least the main traveler
• Child (3-years-old or above) seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
• Children must be always accompanied by an adult
• Please advise any specific dietary requirements or any other special needs at time of booking
• Please note that all prices are per trip and not per person, meaning that the price you see is what you pay for as the whole group
• As a standard, the tours are conducted with a 7 seater minivan, but on some tours, other types of cars can be chosen, like a mid-size or luxury sedan. Please browse through the options and select which one better suits your preferences