Plitvice Lakes Day Tour from Split or Trogir
- Admire the largest waterfall in Croatia, caused by flow of the stream Plitvice down the steep cliff
- See Kozjak, the largest and deepest lake in the park
- Check out the naturally occurring phenomenon of travertine, which are limestone deposits
- Walk through the largest national park in all of Croatia, Plitvice Lakes
Plitvice Lakes National Park (guided tour)
Plitvice Lakes National Park (lunch) optional
Plitvice Lakes National Park (free time)
After leaving from Split and Trogir the road then takes you through the countryside toward a unique jewel - the Plitvice Lakes. The unity and harmony of the 16 lakes and their rare natural and cultural value is not only famous on the local level, but also worldwide, and the lakes are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Upon arriving in Plitvice Lakes National Park, your tour starts on foot through the woods, led by your guide. The path takes you across Gornja Jezera, which are the upper lakes, and then you continue by boat, accompanied by the sound of the waterfalls, to Donja Jezera, the lower lakes.
Tavertine are rock deposits from mineral springs that build barriers, sills, and other forms in karst rivers and streams, leading to the creation of magnificent waterfalls. Over the time, the water changes its course, leaving some barriers dry but depositing new tufa. This phenomenon makes the Plitvice Lakes look different all the time, as they are constantly changing from one day to the next.
You will know when you are approaching the Great Falls, 256-feet (78 meters) high, when you hear the roaring thunder of the water hitting the ground. Afterward, the road will take you to Outlook Cave, which is known from the scene in Karl May’s movie, Treasure of Silver Lake, a story about a famous Winnetou. Your journey ends with a panoramic train ride.
After a nice walking tour you can recuperate with an optional lunch in a local restaurant. After a whole day exploring the magical forests and lakes, you will return to Split.
- Pick-up and drop off at the main meeting point
- Minivan or tour bus transport
- Official English-speaking tour guide
- Entrance tickets to Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Children under 3 years
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Comfortable clothes