Spend a day in the Tuscan countryside and discover the charms of medieval San Gimignano and Monteriggioni. Learn about ancient Chianti winemaking traditions, enjoy lunch at a winery, and taste Brunello of Montalcino wines in a local wine cellar.
What to Expect
The first part of your full-day tour begins with a visit to the walled medieval town of San Gimignano, the City of Fine Towers, a UNESCO World Natural and Cultural Heritage Site. Armed with helpful information from your tour escort you’ll have free time to explore the town’s historical center and browse its artisan shops.
San Gimignano is also the birthplace of Vernaccia, a white wine produced exclusively in the area. The wine is noted for its high quality and for being the first Italian DOCG wine.
The tour continues on to Monteriggioni, the ancient crown-shaped fortress that appeared on Italy’s old 100-Lire currency. The 13th-century walls feature 14 towers that Dante likened to the giants in his Inferno.
Afterwards, you’ll stop at a winery for a lunch of salami, cheese, and other local products, accompanied by a tasting of Chianti wines.
Visit Val d’Orcia, another Tuscan jewel and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Continue on to Montalcino, perched on a hill overlooking 1,500 hectares of Brunello vineyards that have contributed to the area’s international reputation.
The final stop of the day will be a local wine cellar, where you’ll have a chance to taste the renowned Brunello of Montalcino, rated among the finest Italian DOCG wines. Sample other typical local products as well.
- Round-trip shuttle service from your accommodation
- Private, fully-equipped minivan (maximum of 8 people)
- Expert bilingual (English/Italian) tour escort
- Visit to San Gimignano (with free time)
- Lunch and wine tasting at a farm in the Chianti region
- Visit to Montalcino and its fortress (with a brief shopping stop)
- Wine tasting at a renowned winery in Montalcino
- Samples of typical Tuscan bruschetta, salami, and cheeses
- Opportunity to purchase wine from the winery at special prices (shipping available to most countries)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
For light lunch a vegetarian menu is available upon request.
Customers must be able to climb and descend stairs.