Discover the mysterious temples of the royal Khmer city of Koh Ker on a full-day tour from Siem Reap. Thought to have been built as a rival to Angkor Wat, see the towering Prasat Thom, and more. Continue to the early Angkor temple of Beng Mealea.
What to Expect
Enjoy a combined full-day tour of Koh Ker and Beng Mealea on this fascinating day trip from Siem Reap.
Built at a unique period in the Age of Angkor, Koh Ker was built by King Jayavarman IV approximately 60 miles (100 kilometers) from the main Angkor city, following an unexplained break in the Khmer lineage.
The site is dominated by Prasat Thom, a 115-foot (35-meter) tall temple mountain rising high above the plain and surrounding forest. Great views await at the end of an adventurous climb, while carvings of the mythical bird Garuda in stone blocks guard the very top, although they are partially covered.
In addition to Prasat Thom, Koh Ker is covered in small temples and sanctuaries surrounding the vast baray (reservoir), and smotherd by the growth of the jungle, making for a “lost temples” atmosphere. A couple still feature enormous linga stones on yoni (representing the goddess Shakti and the power of nature).
Continue to the enigmatic 11th-century Beng Melea Temple, a prototype temple complex for Angkor Wat, where the vines and roots of ancient trees grow through the broken galleries.
The impressive temple complex is primarly made from sandstone and contains carvings of Buddhist motifs, along with carvings of scenes from Hindu mythology among the towers, courtyards, and piles of stones lying in heaps among the thick brush.
- Private English-speaking guide (French, German, Italian, Spanish, or Russian guides are subject to availability and additional cost. Please enquire for guides in other languages)
- Transportation by private car, van, coach or bus
- All sightseeing as per itinerary
- Koh Ker ticket (USD 10 per person)
- Beng Mealea ticket (USD 5 per person)
- Cold mineral water and fresh towels
What's Not Included
- Airport tax (domestic, USD 8; International USD 25 per person)
- Flight tickets
- Travel insurance
- Optional tours
- Visa fee
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• Please wear sun cream and bring your sun glasses, a hat, and a towel