Visit the unique fishing village in the northern part of the Tonle Sap lake and discover floating villages and flooded forests.
What to Expect
If you thought Siem Reap and its environs were all about the temples, think again. Mechrey village is a floating community located on the margins of Tonle Sap, nine kilometers west of Siem Reap, where the houses, schools and even shops all sit bobbing on the water — though not in the dry season — as locals paddle around in traditional wooden boats.
Mechrey is one of many floating or stilted subsistence fishing villages on the great Tonle Sap, the largest lake in Southeast Asia. Seeing a village is a good antidote to when you’re feeling templed-out and ideal for those more interested in contemporary local life than ancient history. The Tonle Sap is home to a unique way of living thanks to a natural phenomenon that sees the lake swell in size up to sixfold. To cope with such dramatic seasonal variation in water levels, the settlements here have adapted to cope with the ebb and flow by building their properties on floating bamboo rafts or high up on stilts.
This private tour takes you to a lesser visited part of the lake system, to the village of Mechrey. Your guide will bring this incredible natural phenomenon to life and enable you to interact with the people who making their lives from the lake in a respectful and meaningful way. This is a great chance to witness one of Cambodia's and the worlds most amazing natural wonders.
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel/guesthouse
- English speaking guide
- Check point fees
- Boat trip and driver
- Light fruit lunch
Know Before You Go
• Don't forget your camera.
• Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• Children 10 and under are half price; children 5 and under are free
• Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
• Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
• Age 18+ for alcoholic drinks