Learn how the Opium Wars determined Shanghai's history and marvel at the property empire of Victor Sassoon on a 2-hour walking tour of the Old French Concession. Find out why you wouldn’t want to be treated in a 1920’s hospital and much more.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration 2 hours
- Starting times 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM
- Instant confirmation
- Wheelchair accessible
- See the Cathay Theatre and learn about China’s golden film era
- Visit the stunning Cercle Sportif Francais, which once served as a private palace for Mao Zedong
- Visit Jinjiang Hotel, where the legendary feminist icon Dong Zhujun once presided
- Weave your way through Li Long back-streets and learn about the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion
- Visit a 1920s hospital and discover the terrible mistake they made when treating tuberculosis
- See where Shanghai’s White Russian refugees worshipped
- Explore the building in which legendary mobster Big Eared Du stored his opium
- English native speaking tour guide
- All site entry as described
- Transportation to and from start and end point of tour (this can be arranged as an additional service in your choice of taxi or private vehicle upon request).
- Food and drink (unless you also sign up for the optional extra Delicious Chinese Lunch).
- Tax Invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour.
- Other non-tour guide related fees (unless otherwise stated)
Select participants and date
Prepare for the activity
The Standard Meeting Point for French Concession Tours is outside exit 4 of South Shanxi Metro Station (line 1), on the corner of South Maoming Road and Central Huaihai RoadOpen in Google Maps ⟶
Know before you go
- We reserve the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least three hours in advance
- We reserve the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian
- We reserve the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification
- Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk
- We reserve the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive
- We reserves the right to alter the listed content of tours as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility; in doing so, we will try to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.