Bike, Boat & Kayak Tour
- See the lifestyle of the Intha people from the unique perspective of a kayak as you paddle through their villages
- Ride high quality, well maintained mountain bikes along peaceful trails, through bamboo forests and and along the edges of fields full of flowers
- Taste the genuine flavors of freshly prepared Shan food, sitting with the locals at their favorite roadside snack stall
- Enjoy three cruises across the lake, enjoying the panoramic views of the surrounding mountains while looking out for the famous 'leg-rowing' fishermen
- Enjoy a home-cooked lunch in a private, traditional Shan stilt-house
Water buffalo might be seen, chewing lazily as they watch you pass. Before too long you'll leave this tar road and find narrower dirt trails through bamboo forests and along the edges of fields full of crops and flowers. Molasses production, rice milling, planting, harvesting - there's always a lot going on in these villages and the surprised locals will happily cheer you along.
After moving briefly to a wide road you will arrive in the small town of Khaung Daing. Here you will ride through, stopping to see medieval bread kilns, tofu production, rice wine distilling, rice cracker drying and maybe some bright red chillies being bagged up for market; there will also be a chance to sample some of these specialties along the way.
After exploring Khaung Daing and refuelling on fantastic local snacks you hop into a long-tail boat, along with the bikes, for the first trip out onto the water. This goes through a maze of floating gardens unique to Inle Lake, growing a variety of seasonal vegetables and greens atop the water. The boat will then continue on towards a secret destination at an isolated peninsula.
Your adventure through this beautiful countryside will bring you to a different section of the lake where your long-tail boat will again be waiting to take you back out on the water. Soon you'll arrive into a quieter area of the lake among a small stilt community where you can relax and enjoy a truly fantastic, home-cooked Shan lunch, served in a traditional house.
After a short rest to let lunch settle and soak up the picturesque views across the lake you will then take to the kayaks for a laid back paddle through villages, floating tomato gardens and across a stretch of open lake. The long-tail will accompany you and give you complete freedom of choice about how far your adventure takes you.
Following your kayak experience you will return by boat transferring across the lake back to Nyaung Shwe. The cruise back is a good opportunity to catch some last minute photos of the lake and surrounding hills in the late-afternoon light. Arriving in town it is just a short ride to conclude your trip back at the shop.
- Services of our English-speaking guide
- High quality, well maintained imported mountain bike
- Safe drinking water (and a bottle to carry it in)
- Long-tail boat transfers
- Use of kayak
- Use of life jacket
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Drinks (other than water)
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Comfortable clothes
- Sandals or flip flops
• It is recommend bringing a change of clothes for the kayaking section as you are likely to get wet and this can mean a chilly trip back to Nyaung Shwe, especially in the winter months. There will be the opportunity at the lunch house to change into those clothes and then back again after finishing the kayaking section of the tour
• The 25 kilometer bike ride is on easy, flat terrain which presents no technical challenges, however in places the track can become quite narrow and, in some seasons, may be muddy. The ride can be done by anyone who is comfortable on a mountain bike