Take this small-group walking tour and enjoy the inside-Savannah perspective of a professional journalist on the people, places and events depicted in John Berendt’s Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, as well as the 1997 movie of the same name.
What to Expect
Looking for the inside-Savannah perspective on author John Berendt’s 1994 masterwork Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the book that introduced Savannah to much of the world, and inspired the major motion picture of the same name?
Then this is the tour for you! On this small-group walking tour, your guide (a journalist and long-time downtown Savannah resident) will provide you with an up-close look at the Savannah landmarks that play large roles in the story, as well as facts and insights about the people and events in both the best-selling book and movie of the same name.
What locals call “The Book” is a riveting read that perfectly captures the character of downtown Savannah as the unique and often-quirky place it’s always been and likely always will be. This approximately two-hour tour begins in Reynolds Square, directly in front of the Olde Pink House and Restaurant. It ends at the iconic Forsyth Park Fountain. Stops along the way include Johnson Square, Wright Square, the Hamilton-Turner Inn, Clary's Cafe, Jones Street, Monterey Square, the Mercer Williams House, and the Armstrong House.
- Local, licensed tour guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's Not Included
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transport to/from the meeting point
The tour begins in the northwest corner of Reynolds Square, which is directly in front of the Olde Pink House Restaurant and Tavern (23 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401) at the corner of Abercorn and East Bryan Streets. Reynolds Square is bounded on the north by East Bryan Street and on the south by East Congress Street. It is one block north of East Broughton Street, and one block south of Bay Street. There is a statue of John Wesley in the middle of the square.
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• The tour takes place rain or shine, cold, temperate, or hot. Please dress appropriately, including comfortable walking shoes.
• Bringing a bottle of water is also advised.
• Well-behaved pets are always welcome.
• Please remember the tour does not end where it starts. The supplier is happy to provide you with directions back to your car or to your next location.
• Tour is provided in English language only.