El Salvador Half-Day Transit Tour: The Mayan Route
From $42 per personBook now
- Make better use of your time during a transit at San Salvador Airport
- Visit 2 of the most important archeological sites of El Salvador
- Discover the "Pompeii of the Americas" and see the preserved artifacts of Joya de Cerén
- Wander among the pyramid ruins of the San Andres Ceremonial Site
- Learn more about the pre-Columbian Mayans
Once you’ve completed all immigration and visa formalities (if needed), transfer to Joya de Ceren, often referred to as the “Pompeii of the Americas.” Buried by volcanic ash around the year 590, the thick layer of ashfall preserved items of personal property, half-eaten food, and even plants and seeds.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993 for its valuable contribution to the daily lives of the ancestors of El Salvador. See some of the structures that were excavated in the late 20th century, including houses, warehouses, workshops, kitchens, and a temazcal (sweat lodge).
Then, go to the pre-Columbian site of San Andrés, and learn about its importance in the political and ceremonial life of the Mayans as you wander among the remains of the pyramids built around the Acropolis.
Transfer back to the airport in time for your onward flight, and the end of tour services.
- Private air-conditioned transportation
- Transfers from and to San Salvador Airport
- Bilingual guide
- Entrances to tourist sites
- Refreshing beverages on tours
- Donation to a San Salvador association of children with cancer
- Airport taxes (check with your airline as this should be included in your ticket fare payment)
- Transfers off the itinerary
Before you reach the stairs leading to customs look for your host who will be holding a sign that says Salvadorean Tours with your name on it. He will escort you through customs and take you to your driver/guide. (Open in Google Maps)
• Please check that all airline taxes are included in your tickets, especially the departure tax for your airline connection. If it is not included, you must find the connecting airline ticket office and pay the corresponding taxes. You must then pass the migration booth, where you will be required to give proof of payment
• Identify yourself to the immigration authorities of El Salvador as "Transfer Tourist" or "Stop Over Tour" so they can take your documents and speed up the immigration revision process
• To get the most out of your tour, and time to enjoy it more, present all your documents in order to the authorities
Product ID: 47996