Explore the indigenous cultures of Quebrada de Humahuaca on a tour from Salta. Marvel at the surrounding landscapes of León, Tumbaya and Purmamarca. See the Hill of Seven Colours. Discover how the city was influenced by Spanish settlers and more.
What to Expect
Discover a cultural crossroads surrounded by towering mountains on a trip to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Quebrada de Humahuaca. Located near National Route N°9 from Yala, Quebrada de Humahuaca is 130 kilometers from San Salvador de Jujuy.
The 150-kilometer wide Andean valley is flanked by 2 tall mountain chains and continually dredged by the Rio Grande river. At an altitude of 2,000 meters (6,561 feet), Quebrada de Humahuaca is a gem of the Jujuy Province. You are advised to walk slowly due to the high altitude to avoid sickness.
The city is comprised of several small towns, many of which cling to their rich ancestral roots. Learn the history and traditions of the locals, who are said to have one of the most unique cultural landscapes in the world. The people of the indigenous towns conserve their own religious beliefs, rites and celebrations. Their art, agriculture, music and techniques have been handed down over many generations.
Quebrada de Humahuaca has been the scene of many different ancestral cultures since antiquity. The people are mainly of the coya ethnic group, but it was the indigenous omaguacas who gave the city its name. During the 16th century, it served as a gateway for Spanish conquerors travelling into Argentina from Peru. As Spanish influences blended into indigenous cultures, each town developed its own distinct character.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Bilingual, English-speaking guide
What's Not Included
- Food and beverages
- Optional gratuities
Know Before You Go
• Due to the high altitude, you are advised to walk slowly to avoid any sickness caused by decreased oxygen levels
• Please note that the start time is approximate. Your exact pick-up time will be sent to you once you confirm your reservation
• Attractions and services cannot be cancelled. A voucher has no cash value and is non-transferable. No refunds, credits, exchanges or cancellations of a voucher will be granted once your voucher has been issued. Refunds will not be issued for unused or partially-used attractions or services
• Availability and pricing for an attraction or service are subject to change without notice