Enter a world of bubbling mud and powerful geysers at Hells Gate, Rotorua’s most active geothermal park. Enjoy a self-guided walk to marvel at unique geothermal wonders and interactive opportunities.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Duration 1 hour
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
Select participants and date
Hell’s Gate is located just outside of Rotorua’s city center. From the city, simply travel east on SH30. Approximately 5-minutes past the airport, turn right towards Whakatane. Hell’s Gate is 3 km down this road.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Weather-appropriate clothing
Know before you go
- The geothermal walking route takes about 1 hour to complete
- This is an all-weather activity. The geothermal park is at its best when it is raining
- Children must be aged 12 and over to participate in the carving
- The guided tour, Māori carving, and mud foot pool are subject to availability