Rome: San Clemente Basilica Small Group TourProduct ID: 51345
From US$38.13 per personBook now
- Explore all 3 layers of the miraculous Basilica of San Clemente
- Marvel at medieval mosaics that cover the entire edifice of an 12th-century church
- Walk through a maze of tufa stone corridors beneath the streets of Rome
- See the 4th-century frescoes of the life of St. Alexius
- Discover remnants of an old Republican era building and its links to the cult of Mithras
- Admire the ornamentations of one of the most richly adorned churches in Rome
Skip the long lines to enter the church, located near the Colosseum in a quiet corner of the former Roman Republic. Start with the 12th century Basilica, built by Cardinal Anastasius, and admire the rich adornments, such as the Byzantine Apse mosaic with an arabesque motif of scrolled acanthus tendrils. Learn about the Schola Cantorum, and marvel at floor mosaics that cover the entire floor of the edifice.
Then, travel back to the 4th century as you head to the underground Basilica that the 12th-century church was built over. Explore its aisles and central nave, as your guide explains the story of the frescoes depicting the life of St. Alexius and St. Clemente.
Step even further below ground, and head to the lowest levels of the Basilica to see the remains of a 1st-century building of the Republican era. Discover secret rooms, such as the altar of the cult of Mithras and the Mithraic Schoolroom, as well as a maze of rooms and corridors made of tufa block.
Learn about the life of San Clemente, and how and why the Basilica was constructed the way it was, with all its miraculous mosaics, frescoes and hidden corridors.
- Skip-the-line entrance
- Entrance fees to the underground Basilica of San Clemente
Meet on Piazza San Clemente, in front of the main entrance to the Basilica di San Clemente. The nearest Metro station is "Colosseo," and approximate 5-minute walk. Your guide will be holding a "Mea Tours" sign for ease or recognition. Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes prior to the tour departure (Open in Google Maps)
Product ID: 51345