Classic Shore Excursion Rome
- Make your own easy way to Rome and back to your ship in good time before departure by train
- Take a guided walking tour of ancient Rome including the Colosseum, Gladiator's Gate, arena floor, and archaeological areas nearby
- See the entire Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel at your leisure
When you arrive in Rome, you'll most likely have time to see the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon before arriving at Trajan's Column in the heart of ancient Rome for an unforgettable 90-minute walking tour of ancient Rome. Unravel mysteries and mythology inside the Roman Forum before you approach the mighty Colosseum. Enter the arena through the awe-inspiring Gladiator's Gate. Head straight to the original arena floor where gladiators killed or were killed. This is a humbling and inspiring place to rest and and reflect, followed by a fully immersive tour of the Colosseum.
Once outside the arena, bid your guide farewell and make your own way across town by taxi or metro (25 minutes journey time between Colosseo and Ottaviano with 1 line change) to the meeting point at the Vatican at 2:45 PM. Pick up your tickets and entrance to the Vatican Museums. Enter inside with fast track entry, then explore the museums and Sistine Chapel at your own pace. Return to Civitavecchia by train in good time ahead of your ship's departure. Clear and easy directions to the railway station in central Rome and train departure times back to the port railway station will be provided.
This Rome shore excursion is ideal for couples, families, and groups of friends of all ages who wish to see Rome and the Vatican City as part of their Mediterranean cruise.
- Fully guided tour of ancient Rome and the Colosseum with a local expert archaeologist guide
- Faster than skip-the-line entrance to the Colosseum
- Fast track Vatican Museums access
- Sistine Chapel visit
- Directions to get to the railway station after the Vatican so you will be back on your ship in good time before departure
- Cost of return train tickets from the port of Civitavecchia to Roma Termini station (inexpensive and purchasable at Civitavecchia railway station (near to port arrivals)
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
At 10:30 AM, meet your guide beneath Trajan's Column which stands on the left of Piazza Venezia as you face the big white building, Trajan's Column, Via dei Fori Imperiali, 00187 Rome. If you use the metro to reach Colosseo station, turn right at the main street exit and keep walking for 10 minutes. Trajan's Column will be on your right as you approach Piazza Venezia. The Ancient Rome tour departs at 10:45 AM sharp. At 2:45 PM, meet at the local partner's office at Via Sebastiano Veniero 19. The nearest metro station is called Ottaviano / San Pietro / Musei Vaticani on Line A which on any Rome metro map is colored orange. The Vatican tour departs at 3:00 PM sharp.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
- Short skirts
- Sleeveless shirts
• A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums; no shorts or sleeveless tops allowed and knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women
• This tour is not wheelchair accessible