Discover imperial and early Christian Rome as you descend into the city’s underground burial chambers and its long winding catacombs. Visit the Capuchin Crypt that’s decorated with human bones. Tour the Capuchin Museum and the San Clemente Basilica.
What to Expect
Rome's underground burial chambers and crypts cover a period of history that predates Christianity and post-dates the Renaissance. You’ll never believe what lies beneath Rome until you see it for yourself!
This 3.5 hour tour takes you below the city and back to a time when Christianity was considered a cult, and its members were executed as heretics and buried as martyrs. The long corridors of the Roman Catacombs house hundreds of burial chambers, from modest single sites to extravagant family tombs.
At San Clemente Basilica you’re in for some surprises. As you go from the top layer, which is a 12th-century basilica, you’ll continue down through a huge 4th-century basilica, a 2nd-century sanctuary of the mysterious Mithraic cult and, finally, to a well-preserved 1st-century Roman street, replete with herringbone tiling.
The biggest surprise of this tour, however, is the Capuchin Crypt. The recent addition of an official museum here means that your first encounter is with Caravaggio’s magnificent canvas called St. Francis in Meditation. You’ll see relics from the life of St. Francis and some of his followers here as well.
You’re sure to agree that the real star of the show is the crypt itself, decorated with the bones of 4,000 Capuchin monks. See a real skull and crossbones, and chandeliers made of human vertebrae!
- Tour as per description
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 20 people or less
- Admission to the Capuchin Crypt and Museum
- Admission to the Catacombs
- Admission to the church and underground area of Basilica San Clemente
- All transfers by air-conditioned coach
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
Please note the following:
• It is the responsibility of all visitors to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated and missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded.
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended.
• Regrettably, guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance cannot be accommodated. Strollers or baby carriages must be left at home.
• Entry into churches requires that you follow a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. The tour operator cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.