Rome: Half-Day Ancient Appian Way & Aqueducts E-Bike Tour

Activity provider: Topbike Rental & Tours

Rome: Half-Day Ancient Appian Way & Aqueducts E-Bike Tour

Activity provider: Topbike Rental & Tours

From US$ 82.14 per person

Get on your electric-assist mountain bike and experience the Ancient Appian Way, the monumental Roman Aqueducts and the grand Aurelian Walls. Explore Rome’s incredibly rich countryside, an off-the-beaten-track jewel, in the company of an expert guide.

About this activity

Free cancellation
Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Reserve now & pay later
Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
Covid-19 precautions
Special health and safety measures are in place. Check your activity voucher once you book for full details. Learn more
Duration 4.5 hours
Check availability to see starting times.
Live tour guide
English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch
Small group
Limited to 10 participants


  • Follow your guide on a bike tour of the Roman countryside
  • Cycle past the Circus of Maxentius and other Roman ruins
  • Travel along 2,300 year-old cobblestones of the Ancient Appian Way
  • See the amazing aqueducts built by the Romans
Full description
The Roman countryside boasts plenty of remarkable vistas. There’s plenty to take in on this half-day cycling tour, from the 2,300-year-old cobblestone roads to the ancient ruins and the incredible scenery. After a short urban ride, you will reach the beginning of the Ancient Appian Way and then continue to cycle past ancient tombs and the ruins of an imperial palace. As you ride, your guide will share interesting historical facts that will open your eyes to the Rome beyond the monuments. Leaving the Ancient Appian Way, you will follow the ancient aqueducts through the Roman countryside, where you might feel like you are in the wild side of Rome of centuries ago. After a pleasant ride back, your tour ends with a return to central Rome.
  • Electric-assist Mountain bike (with anti-puncture tires)
  • Local guide
  • Helmet (mandatory)
  • Handlebar bag
  • Bottle of water
  • Gratuities
  • Personal expenses
Not suitable for
  • Babies under 1 year
Covid-19 precautions
Safety measures in place
  • All required protective equipment is provided
  • All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned

Select participants and date



Meeting point
Important information

What to bring

  • Comfortable shoes

Know before you go

  • The length of the tour will be 27 kilometers, roughly 60% of which will take place off-road
  • The level of the tour is intermediate (challenging with an added child seat or child extension)
  • Approximately 40% of the route of this tour takes place in the city. The tour runs on carefully selected streets, but some traffic is unavoidable to connect the Appian Way to the Park of the Aqueducts. In the remaining 60% of the route (riding in the parks), there is no traffic.
  • Wearing a helmet on the tour is mandatory
  • Infants under the age of 1 year cannot participate in the tour for safety reasons.
  • Infants aged 1-4 years traveling on a child seat (with a load capacity of up to 55 lbs or 25 kg) can come on the tour free of charge
  • For children aged 5-8 years, a child extension is provided
  • Children aged 9 and above can ride on an appropriately-sized e-bike independently.
  • A minimum of 4 participants applies. In case it's not reached, you will be offered an alternative for your tour or a full refund.
Customer reviews

Overall rating

4.9 /5

based on 150 reviews

Review summary

  • Guide
  • Transportation
  • Value for money
  • Safety

Sort by:

Traveler type:

Star rating:

The guide was very good. This tour is not for the faint of heart. It's better to be familiar with e-bikes. But our guide did an excellent job of navigating our group through the city and into the country. Great way to see sites that are off the beaten path.

September 14, 2022

It was a great time! Katharina gave us an unforgettable experience, she was super attentive, always responded to our wishes and told us so much historical background, a lot of information that we didn't expect on the bike tour! It is absolutely recommendable! Bikes were super ok and we were a small group of only 4 people! Everything perfect!

Read more

May 30, 2022

Excellent tour if you want to see Rome from outside the city. You get a nice impression of the landscape. It's not strict at all with the e-bike, even if it's a bit hot. The provider even gives you a bottle of mineral water. The tour guide Alberto explained and introduced us to the history and architecture of Rome very well. I would do the tour again in a heartbeat.

Read more

May 24, 2022

Product ID: 43961