Rome: Colosseum "Undergound" 4-Hour Guided TourProduct ID: 58172
From $128 per personBook now
- Skip the long lines to the Colosseum and Roman Forum
- Learn about everyday life and the political intrigues of the Roman Republic
- Access the underground hypogeum to see how the lions were hoisted to arena level
- See the magnificent Arch of Constantine built after the emperor's armies defeated the pagans
- Follow in the footsteps of Roman emperors along the Via Sacra
- Enjoy commanding views of Rome from Palatine Hill
- Hear the story of Romulus and Remus and the she-wolf that nursed them
Meet your guide at the “Colosseo” Metro Station before going inside the Flavian Amphitheatre. Once inside, your guide will bring to life the bloodthirsty spectacles that saw gladiators battle with beasts brought from beneath the arena through spectacular feats of engineering. See a newly constructed timber elevator, recreated by experts, that demonstrates how the Romans hoisted animals up to the arena level. Originally, there were 28 of these elevators in the Colosseum, each powered by 8 slaves.
Go to the Colosseum’s 3rd tier (its highest level) for commanding views of Rome. Proceed to the Roman Forum to discover the epicenter of life in Ancient Rome. Learn how the Romans conducted their business, sought justice, and discussed politics and philosophy within the Forum, divided by the Via Sacra, Ancient Rome’s most important street.
See the altar where Caesar was cremated, and visit the Temple of the Vestal Virgins where the virgins tended the eternal flame to ensure the fortune and glory of Rome. Admire the Senate building, where key decisions that influenced the course of history took place. Visit the white marble Arch of Septimius Severus, and the Arch of Constantine, built to commemorate the emperor’s victory over the pagans, and the moment when Christianity became the religion of the Empire.
Hear the story of the she-wolf that nursed the twin founders of Rome (Romulus and Remus) on Palatine Hill. Stand in the oldest part of Rome, and discover why it was later favored by Rome’s richest and most powerful families.
- Entrance fees
- English-speaking guide
- Headsets (for groups of more than 8 people)
Meet your guide outside the upper level of the "Colosseo" Metro Station (Line B). The upper level of the station can be accessed by the stairs just inside the station entrance (Open in Google Maps)
• Please note that backpacks and large bags are not permitted inside the Colosseum, and there is no cloakroom service at the site
• This tour operates with a maximum of 12 people
• Please wear comfortable shoes. Bring a hat, sunscreen lotion, and water bottles you can refill in the fountains along the way
• This tour is not suitable for those with walking difficulties
Product ID: 58172