Morro da Urca hiking is the most authentic option when visiting the Sugar Loaf in Rio de Janeiro. It's easy to see the presence of monkeys while hiking through the forest, making this tour very enjoyable and entertaining.
What to Expect
Morro da Urca (227 meters) and Sugar Loaf (396 meters) are part of the touristic complex of the Sugar Loaf in Rio de Janeiro, currently recognized as Natural Monument by UNESCO. The protected area lies along the shores of the famous Guanabara Bay and is one of the main touristic attractions of Rio de Janeiro. The most authentic way to experience the Sugar Loaf is hiking Morro da Urca trail inside the forest before catching the world famous Sugar Loaf cable car.
The Morro da Urca hiking is steep in the first steps, beginning at Claudio Coutinho jogging way, an asphalt road on the left shore of Praia Vermelha's cove. The guide will lead the group through the trail until reaching a plateau where you can admire a beautiful view of Guanabara Bay and Rio de Janeiro downtown area. During the tour, it is common to see some monkeys carrying their babies. From the plateau, a pleasant hike takes you to the top, where the first terminal of the cable car is located. That's where you can catch the second level cable car to go to Sugar Loaf and enjoy the stunning scenery from the top of the newest UNESCO Natural Monument. From the summit, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery, seeing Corcovado, Pedra da Gávea, Pedra Bonita, Pico da Tijuca, Copacabana beach and Ipanema beach.
This tour has an estimated duration of 4 hours and the ticket for the cable car is included in one of the tour options. The sunset in Morro da Urca hill is one of the most beautiful images of the city, so there is the possibility of taking this tour in the afternoon (if previously requested). Experience some of the best views from the top of Morro da Urca and Sugar Loaf through a very beautiful and nice trail.
- Professional guide
- Cable car ticket (if option selected)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only, excludes '3pax' option)
Know Before You Go
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• Minimum age is 10 years
• Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
• A high amount of walking is involved
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative tour, date or full refund
• It is recommended that you bring comfortable shoes with good grip, a light snack, water, sunscreen and insect repellent
• Due to the nature of this tour and the safety of all guests, the tour operator reserves the right to refuse service to passengers who are intoxicated or show signs of intoxication. If, as a result, your tour is canceled, you will not be entitled to a refund.