Leave Rio de Janeiro for a day trip to tour through Dom Pedro II summer residence, Imperial Museum, Crystal Palace, Santos Dumont House, Tereza Street and the Chocolate Factory.
What to Expect
The city of Petropolis was founded by an initiative of Emperor Dom Pedro II and is often called the Imperial City. With pleasant climate, it has several touristic and cultural attractions, historical buildings and lush vegetation.
Take the 1-hour trip to the city of Petrópolis, on comfortable, air-conditioned transportation, from Rio de Janeiro. Along the way you can enjoy beautiful scenery with great panoramic views of Serra dos Órgãos mountains. First stop is at the former summer residence of Emperor Dom Pedro II, where the royal family spent long seasons before the Republic Proclamation in 1889. Experience a detailed visit to the current Imperial Museum, which preserves a collection of emblematic pieces, like the famous crown of the emperor. The scenario reconstructs the everyday life of the imperial family and has cultural, social and economic aspects of Brazil in the nineteenth century. You will learn the history of the Brazilian Empire and see how was the daily life of the imperial family.
The tour moves on to Petropolis St. Peter of Alcantara Cathedral. It's an imposing neo-Gothic building, inspired by the French and German cathedrals, where the Imperial Mausoleum has the remains of Dom Pedro II, Empress Teresa Cristina and Princess Isabel. The next destination is Quitandinha hotel, built in 1944 in order to be the largest casino in South America. There will be a stop for lunch, which is not included in the tour.
After lunch, the guide will show the large avenues of the Imperial City and take you to the Crystal Palace, where Princess Isabel used to promote parties and feasts. The next destination is the house of Santos Dumont. His residence turned into a museum that has a collection of objects, books, letters and furniture. Moving on, visit Tereza street, renowned shopping street in downtown Petropolis, featuring hundreds of stores, that sells own making clothing. The tour of Petropolis ends in a delicious and tasty tour at the Patrone chocolate manufacturing. Founded in 1913 it was the pioneer of chocolate easter eggs manufacturing in Brazil.
- Licensed, bilingual guide
- Guided visit to Emperor Dom Pedro II summer residence and Imperial Museum
- Guided visit to House and Museum of aeronaut inventor Santos Dumont
- Guided visit to Crystal Palace and St. Peter of Alcantara Cathedral
- Guided visit to Thereza street and Chocolate Factory
- Round-trip transportation
What's Not Included
- Gratuities (optional)
- Any item not listed as included
Know Before You Go
• Drug use or the intake of alcohol before or during activity, as well as possession of weapons of any kind, is not allowed, under penalty of cancellation of the activity
• When booking this tour, you accept the risk of booking Adventure Tourism activities
• The itnerary and the order of sightseeing may change due to weather and/or adverse conditions inherent in the practice of Adventure Tourism