Encounter whales, dolphins, porpoises and birds on a 3-hour cruise from Reykjavik and see the wildlife in their natural habitat off the capital’s coast. Experience the drama and poetry of whales, seen on more than 95% of summer tours and 80% in winter.
What to Expect
Whales are the most mysterious and fascinating of creatures, and some of the best whale watching in the world is off the coast of Iceland, where the ocean currents create excellent viewing conditions.
Climb aboard a whale watching boat operated by the only environmentally certified whale watching company in Iceland, and explore the southern part of Faxafloi Bay off Reykjavik’s old harbor. On the 3-4 hour tour you will get up-close to humpback, minke, and orca whales, as well as abundant sea birds, white beaked dolphin and harbor porpoise.
Whales are seen on more than 95% of summer tours and 80% of winter tours, often surfacing within a few meters from the boat. To ensure that the animals are not disturbed, boats sail at a constant speed towards the whales' habitat. This is also is part of a sustainability policy that tries to minimize oil use and pollution.
Guides have gone through an extensive training program, based on exclusively developed guiding principles. They will provide entertaining and valuable information about the wildlife and scenery. And as a successful whale watching tour is a team effort, the crew works closely with passengers to spot whales, helping you feel an important part of the experience.
- Access to the Whale Watching Center
- Use of warm overalls
- Guidance to enhance your experience
- Wireless internet on board
What's Not Included
- Refreshments (available to purchase on board)
What to Remember
• Once in the harbor you can look around the Whale Watching Centre and watch videos, or just look at the various skeletons, information boards and gifts for sale
• By buying a ticket for this tour you are contributing to the summer research projects, environmentally friendly and responsible tourism and non-governmental organizations for the protection of wildlife
• Please be aware that the pick-up is only arranged from hotels and accommodations in Reykjavik Greater Area.