From Reykjavik: Iceland's South Coast and Glacier Tour
Pickup optionalPickup begins 30 minutes prior to the tour start time. Please be ready and on the lookout for a green Smartbus. As each driver usually has a few stops to make, it can take up to 30 minutes to finish the pickup service; there is no need to worry if the bus is not there exactly on time. Pickup is available from most hotels, hostels, and guesthouses. Please note that in the city center, some areas are restricted to buses, and therefore buses can only stop at nearby bus stops. If you need directions to your nearest bus stop, please visit this website: www.busstop.is. Please note that pickup is not available from Airbnbs or private residences; for these cases, it is recommended you select the nearest hotel address or bus stop and request pickup from there.
- Go behind the veil of water at the Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Experience the mighty power of the Skógafoss waterfall
- Walk on the glacier of Sólheimajökull with a certified glacier guide
Travel through fertile farm lands and pass small villages. Known for its Viking heritage, this epic scenery is guarded by the infamous volcanoes of Eyjafjallajökull and Hekla. On clear days, you will get some great views of the volcanically-active Westman Islands, where the eruption of the Eldfell volcano in the 1970s forced the island's 5,000 inhabitants to be temporarily evacuated to the mainland.
Stop first at the rugged outlet glacier of Sólheimajökull, which flows from the main ice-cap of Mýrdalsjökull where the mighty Katla volcano lies. Put on the provided crampons to explore the glacier's cracks, crevasses and ice with a certified glacier guide. Hike for 20 minutes to find yourself standing on top of a few hundred meters of ice, yet still only slightly above sea level.
Continue to the stunning waterfall of Skógarfoss, and feel the spray of the water on your face. Climb up the 527 steps of the hill to look at the majestic 60-meter high waterfall from above, and watch the water plummet down on its way to the Atlantic Ocean.
Then, go to the Seljalandsfoss waterfall to discover one of Iceland’s most famous attractions. Get a different perspective of the landscape as you take a walk behind the cascades and look through the wall of water.
- Audio guide on board the bus (available in 10 different languages)
- Driver and guide
- Glacier guide
- Visit to all the top sites on the south coast of Iceland (Seljalandsfoss, Sólheimajökull and Skógarfoss)
- Hotel pick-up (SmartBus hotel pick-up is available at extra cost)
Prepare for the activity
This tour option does not includes hotel pickup. Please be at the Reykjavik Terminal, located at Skógarhlíð 10 in time for your departure. Please note: the coach leaves from Reykjavík Terminal at departure time so it is important to arrive 15 minutes before departure timeOpen in Google Maps ⟶
• For the crampons you must be at least shoe size 35
• Dress according to the weather. In Iceland it is always smart to dress in warm and waterproof clothes. Weather changes are swift so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, head wear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended
• You are advised to bring your own headphones, as they will fit you best and it is better for the environment. If you don’t have your own headphones, or forgot to bring them, earphones are available to purchase on board the vehicle