Experience the best Iceland has to offer with this whale watching opportunity. See a variety of whales by the coast on this tour that operates year round, including the minke and humpback whales and whale-beaked dolphins and harbor porpoises.
What to Expect
Take a boat trip from Reykjavik’s harbor to discover Iceland’s rich marine life, which is one of the island country’s highlights. All year round you can spot a variety of whales and other marine animals in the Reykjavik area, including minke and humpback whales, harbor porpoises, and whale-beaked dolphins.
The peak season for whale watching extends from April to October, but of course the ocean is always full of magical creatures and you never know what you might see. This boat trip gives you the unique opportunity to see some of Iceland's most beautiful marine animals, along with the stunning scenery of the Icelandic coast.
Then, visit the Whales of Iceland exhibition, the largest of its kind in Europe. Nowhere else can you stand face-to-face with so many whale species, all of which have been found in Icelandic waters through the ages. Marvel at the 25-meter-long blue whale, the full-size sperm whale (like the one in Moby Dick), the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale, and many others.
At the exhibition you can learn about the life and behavior of these giants of the sea as well as listen to their singing and look into their eyes. The experience, being surrounded by these giants of the sea, is a unique one that’s appealing to both adults and children.
The interactive stations are based on the latest scientific data. You can, for example, learn about the biology of the Minke whale and follow the migration routes of whales that have been tagged and monitored by satellite.
- Guided boat tour
- Warm flotation overalls
- Wireless internet on board
- Admission to Whales of Iceland exhibition (Audio guided tour)
What's Not Included
- Snacks and beverages (sold on board)
Know Before You Go
• The best season to spot whales is summer. The chances of spotting whales may be lower at other times of year
• Whale watching is a natural activity that is subject to the weather. If the trip is canceled due to bad weather, the whale watching part of the ticket will be refunded. If there are no sightings during the trip, then you have the option to go back at a time of your choice within 2 years