Reykjavik Ice Cave and Snowmobile Tour on Langjokull Glacier
Pickup optionalFebruary & March 2020: Pickup from your hotel in Reykjavik will be between 7:30 AM and 8:00 AM (please note that the tour departs from Reykjavik at 08:00 AM). From April 1, 2020 on: Pickup from your hotel in Reykjavik will be between 7:00 AM and 7:30 AM (please note that the tour departs from Reykjavik at 07:30 AM). Please be ready and waiting outside your accommodation or at the nearest bus stop for pickup. Be sure you are in a place where you can be seen and where you can easily see the bus coming. Pickup from private accommodations or AirBnBs is not possible.
- Enjoy the wonders of the glacier by snowmobile
- See Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls where Crystal clear water emerges from the volcanic rock lava field and falls down into Hvitá
- Walk on a glacier and marvel at its icy-blue hues
- Descend into the ice cave to witness the wonders of Iceland's second largest glacier from the inside.
From the glacier base camp at Jaki you will start your tour of the Langjökull Glacier Ice Cap. You will begin with putting on the necessary clothing and getting our helmets fitted, you will then listen to the safety briefing from our guide before you head out on your snowmobile tour. Then you will be ready to drive off across the glaciers vast snowy wonderland and marvel at the incredible surroundings. You will actually drive your snowmobiles to the famous ice cave! After riding the snowmobiles up the glacier you will walk down into the glacier. Your expert guide will take you on this fantastic journey to the icy netherworld deep within the glacier.
Until very recently what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. But sometimes bold ideas become a reality and this seemingly impossible feat of creating a 500-meter long ice cave was made possible through the combined efforts of the country's top engineers and geo-physicists. Inside the glacier, the temperature is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit. After snowmobiling and exploring the Ice Cave you make your way back down to civilization, or to the small village of Húsafell.
- All necessary safety equipment
- Local guide on the bus
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Snowmobiling equipment (helmet, gloves, and snow-suit)
- Ice cave admission fee
- Food and drinks
- People with back problems
Prepare for the activity
- Driver's license
- Warm clothing
- Hiking shoes
- Outdoor clothing
• You will be sharing a snowmobile with someone, however, there is an extra cost if you would like to be a single rider
• Pickup from private accommodations or AirBnBs is not possible