Fly over spectacular alpine scenery on a 70-minute helicopter flight high above Queenstown and Mount Aspiring. See locations from the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and fly like Gwaihir around the Southern Alps, and Middle Earth!
What to Expect
Take to the skies for a scenic 70-minute helicopter flight over “Lord of the Rings” country, and make like Gwaihir in Middle Earth!
Following a hotel pick-up in Queenstown, head for the take-off point and start your journey through the land where many scenes in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy were filmed. You may even be flying alongside a pilot who helped out on the shoots!
Fly like Gwaihir around the Southern Alps, following the Shotover River through Skipper’s Canyon, recognisable as the “Ford of Bruinen” where Arwen conjured the magical flood to dispel the Nazgûl. Soar above the mountain range featured in the opening scene of “The Two Towers.” Make a glacier landing at Mt. Earnslaw, and get a sense of what it might be like to cross The Redhorn Pass.
Next, head across to Glenorchy via the Dart Valley to see the natural features you may recognise as “Isengard,” “Amon Hen,” and “Lothlórien.” Experience a second landing in one of these locations to feel fully immersed in Middle-Earth.
- Courtesy coach for pick-up and drop-offs from all Queenstown accommodation
- Qualified pilots and full safety briefing
- 70-minute helicopter flight with glacier landing, plus additional alpine landing
- In-flight commentary to highlight the points of interest
Cancel up to 0 hours in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters recommend that you make your flight bookings in advance to ensure you are not disappointed. If they cannot fly due to adverse weather, they can transfer your booking to another day. Alternatively, they will refund you in full
• If you cancel your reservation more than 24 hours from the departure time, a full refund will be made. Cancellations within 24 hours of the departure time will incur a 25% cancellation fee
• The away times (flight durations) specified in the flight tour itineraries are approximate & can be subject to weather conditions. On occasion, flight paths & landing locations may change at the pilot’s discretion. Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters will always keep you informed of any changes
• Minimum numbers apply. Individual bookings may be combined & upgrades offered if necessary to achieve minimum numbers
• Please advise Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters in advance if you weigh over 220 pounds (100 kilograms)