Visit the penguin community on Magdalena Island, home to 120,000 Magellanic penguins and the largest such colony in Chile. Travel by boat through the Strait of Magellan, walk to the lighthouse and get a close up look at the penguins.
What to Expect
Your 4-hour excursion begins with a pick-up at your hotel in Punta Arenas and a transfer to the pier. After check-in, you’ll board the boat for a trip to an unforgettable place.
Located 32 km northeast of Punta Arenas, in the middle of the Strait of Magellan, Magdalena Island is home to the greatest colony of penguins in the continental region.
The island has been a protected area since 1982, the year it was renamed Los Pinguinos Natural Monument. More than 60,000 penguin couples arrive during the summer to reproduce, as do other kinds of birds, such as cormorants and Andean seagulls.
You’ll reach the island in around 40 minutes, passing through the Strait of Magellan. Once you’re on land you’ll have about an hour to explore and take photos. Visit the lighthouse, an environmental interpretation center, where you’ll find information about the history of the strait and the ecological richness of the islands.
- Transfer from your Punta Arenas hotel to the tour operator's office
- Transfer from the office to the pier
- Boat trip
- Entrance fee to Los Pinguinos Natural Monument
- Tea and coffee service
What's Not Included
- Transfer from the tour operator's office to your hotel in Punta Arenas
- Optional gratuities
Know Before You Go
• The full name, passport number, country of issue and expiry date is required at time of booking for all participants
• This tour is subject to weather conditions
• During the peak season (Christmas holidays, cruise dates) the time for your tour may vary, depending on availability. The tour operator will contact you after your purchase to confirm your tour pick-up time