San Ignacio Mission and Wanda MinesProduct ID: 50788
From $99 per personBook now
Pick-up serviceLocal hotels in Iguazú.
- Explore the history and culture of the Jesuit mission in Argentina
- Visit and learn about the formation process of many minerals in the Wanda Mines
- Discover the San Ignacio Mission and Wanda Mines from Puerto Iguazú, one of the most beautiful places in this region.
The facade of the temple was made entirely with pink sandstone in 1610 and its American Baroque design was rebuilt by a group of scientists in the last century. The reduction had been buried under the jungle for nearly two centuries.
Thousands of tourists visit it every year. It is located in the heart of the town of San Ignacio, on Route No. 12, 60 kilometers from Posadas. Today, the right wall of the temple looks flawless, because during the summer a group of specialists was "grooming" it.
This was made possible by the World Monuments Foundation, who donated $ 50,000 for that. It's a step by step process to preserve all the walls of this monument, which due to the tropical climate of the region tend to be covered with small microorganisms that slowly break them down.
Travel to the Wanda Mines site and view the gemstones that form in the area. Hundreds of years ago, the lava in this region rose through fissures in the earth creating enough pressure for the materials to bubble. The quick cooling of the lava created crystals, all of them in pyramidal hexagonal shapes made of amethyst quartz and agates that are today used for jewelry. Learn about the formation process of many minerals including amethysts, agates, topazes and quartz crystals.
- San Ignacio Jesuit Mission Guided
- Visit to the Wanda Mines
- Bilingual guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fee to Wanda Mines (50 Argentinian pesos, approx. US$6)
- Entrance fee to San Ignacio Mission (90 Argentinian pesos, approx. US$10)
- Extra personal expenses
Product ID: 50788