Sometimes buying admission tickets to Prague Castle may cost you hours of queuing. Avoid the stress of lining up by collecting your admission tickets…
Discover the myths and legends of Prague on a 1.5-hour ghost tour. Go to some of the city’s most mysterious alleys, and hear stories that will make…
See the best of Prague by land and water on a combined 3.5-hour bus, boat and walking tour. Marvel at the monuments of Old Town, Lesser Town and the…
Explore spectacular Prague Castle and visit St. Vitus Cathedral, St. George’s Basilica, and Golden Lane. Take a tram ride up to the castle from the…
Admire the Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Kampa Island, and other highlights of Prague from the water on a popular Vltava River boat trip that…
The Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, and the Church of St. Nicholas are just some of the Prague icons you’ll see…
This sprawling UNESCO World Heritage Site was once the seat of the ancient Kings of Bohemia. Today, it is the most significant Czech monument and an important cultural institution in the Czech Republic. Here are some interesting factual tidbits about this Central European marvel.
With an area of about 215,000 ft² (over 18 acres!), Prague Castle is the largest medieval castle in the world!
Housed within the castle complex is the magnificent St. Vitus Cathedral. An amazing example of Gothic architecture, it remains one of the most important churches in the country.
Due to hundreds of years of political changeovers and ever-shifting cultural influences, the castle complex features broad mix of architectural styles, from Romanesque to ornate Baroque.
This small musical group (not in fact a full orchestra in residence) play outside the gates of the castle regularly for tourists and are worth hearing on your visit!
As Prague Castle is the official residence and office of the President of the Czech Republic, a Changing of the Guard ceremony takes place each day on the hour.
The opening times vary throughout the year, so be sure to check the website before you visit. The Courtyards are open Apr-Oct: Daily 5:00AM - Midnight; Nov - Mar: Daily: 6:00AM - 11:00PM. Prague Castle Buildings (Interiors): Apr - Oct: Daily 9:00AM - 5:00PM; Nov - Mar: Daily 9:00AM-4:00PM.
With the castle complex being so large and so much housed within it, tours are advised. You can go on a guided tour, or take an audio tour and enjoy discovering the castle for yourself.
There are different ticket options depending on how much of the castle complex you want to see. The most extensive option, which they call Circuit A, costs 350 CZK (about 15 US dollars). The discounted price for youth and seniors is 175 CZK and family admission is 700 CZK.
- When to visitVaries depending on the season. The Courtyards are open in the summer from 5AM until midnight. The castle buildings are open during typical work hours (9-5). The winter hours are only slightly more limited.
- What is the price?It is free to wander around the Courtyards. Entrance tickets vary.
- Will I need a guide?It will definitely help. Check out our tours to find the best fit for your excursion.
- How to get thereIf you want to go by foot, prepare for a scenic but quite steep trek uphill. To save your calves, you can take tram 22 to Pražský hrad and leave by metro from Malostranská station.
- Additional tipsWant to snap some photos inside the castle buildings? Make sure to purchase a photography license from the ticket stand.