Discover the awesome archaeological site of Chichen Itza, one of the most important ancient cities in Mayan culture. Learn Mayan history with the help of an expert guide on a tour of the site, along with a trip to a mysterious underground cenote.
What to Expect
This full-day, 12-hour tour takes you from the lively seaside resort of Playa del Carmen and travels back in time to visit the marvelous archaeological zone of Chichen Itza. One of the most important ancient cities of Mayan culture, you will learn about its religious, political and commercial significance with an expert guide.
Explore the historic ruins of the metropolis and see extraordinary buildings that are fine examples of typical Mayan architecture and reveal everyday Mayan society.
You will travel by limousine coach, a journey of approximately 150 miles east from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza. The luxury coaches boast limited capacity to ensure a more comfortable and exclusive service, and are equipped with tables, TV and bathroom facilities for your comfort.
Relax on board with a continental style breakfast and open bar service throughout (soft drinks, water, coffee, juice and beer).
You will have time at Chichen Itza to discover more about the ancient Mayan culture and takes in sights, such as the El Castillo pyramid and the Great Ball Court stadium.
You will enjoy a typical Mexican style buffet lunch with salad bar, fruit, lime soup, rice, beans, roast suckling pig or chicken pibil, as well as a mouth watering dessert.
You will also visit one of the mysterious cenotes, the limestone sinkholes that were sacred to the Mayans, where you will get the opportunity to cool off and go for a swim in the refreshing and magical underground pool. Finally you will have the chance to visit a real Mayan Village and meet modern Mayans.
This is a great excursion if you want to discover the history behind the Mayan civilization and see how they continue to live and practice their culture today.
- Expert bilingual guide
- Round trip air-conditioned transportation with WC
- Entrance fee to archaeological site
- Drinks on-board
- Continental style breakfast on-board
- Mexican buffet lunch
What's Not Included
- Drinks at lunch stop
- Fee for taking video cameras (not digital cameras) into the archaeological site
Know Before You Go
• Wear comfortable shoes for walking, a hat or umbrella to protect you from the sun, biodegradable sunscreen & repellent, swimsuit and towel (if you wish to swim in the cenote), cash for souvenirs as there are handicraft stalls on site and a camera to capture some spectacular photos.
• Tours in French only operate on Mondays and Wednesdays.