Spend the afternoon exploring a famous sea cave on a kayak tour of Phang Nga Bay. Marvel at the marine geology and lagoons of John Gray’s Hong, discovered in 1989. Look for native wildlife and float your own self-made flower "krathong."
What to Expect
Depart Phuket at around midday to avoid the crowds at John Gray’s Hong, the beautiful sea caves in spectacular Phang Nga Bay. Travel by luxury air-conditioned minivan with a good appetite as you will be served a nutritious meal later on board a modern twin-engine escort boat. Depart from Ao Po Pier and watch a raptor show on board the boat. Get a detailed briefing about the nature and geological site of Phang Nga Bay, and learn the basics of how to safely enter the caves.
Upon arrival, gear up and start your first kayak session. Follow an experienced guide through the limestone caves and lagoons of the dramatic setting of Panak Island. The handmade kayaks are specially designed for the trip and have never capsized, got a puncture or been involved in an accident. Your guide will paddle you and a partner through the karst islands into the hongs (literally, Thai for “room”).
Look out for the resident macaques, water monitors, kingfishers, mud-skippers, egrets, sea eagles and brahminy kites along the way. Then, return to the escort boat and journey to the second island to explore 2 more caves and their magnificent hongs.
Finish after dark and float your own self-made flower krathong, a stunning light display best-known for the annual full moon festival of Loi Krathong. Feast from a delicious seafood-vegan buffet meal on the return trip back. Arrive at the pier 2 hours after sunset and journey back to your hotel.
- Round-trip transfers from hotels on the entire island of Phuket, or airport pick-up and drop off service
- English-speaking guide
- Full-board meal plan with lunch, dinner and soft drinks
- Comfortable, modern twin-engine escort boat
- Custom Caveman SOTAR sea kayaks
- Kayak equipment, including a dry-bag
- Basic accident insurance
- National park entrance fees
Cancel up to 3 days in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please bring a towel, bathing suit, dry and warm clothes to change into for the return transfer, sunglasses, sun cream and a camera or smart phone (at your own risk, dry-bags are provided)
• Please note that the tour program is subject to change due to weather and tidal conditions
• This tour is not recommended for pregnant women or people with back or neck problems
• Only the highest quality ingredients fresh from the local market are used to prepare the lunch and dinner. The seafood is net caught and the chicken is free range. Brown, red and black rice is served with homemade Massaman curry
• Guests who have experienced the Loi Krathong ceremony, complete with fireflies and dinoflagellates (bio-luminescent plankton), say it was a truly "spiritual experience" and the "best trip of our lives."