Explore the underground Catacombs of Paris in their entirety on a lively 2-hour guided tour, and take a journey through 2,000 years of history. Discover why the labyrinth of tunnels became an underground cemetery full of bones.
What to Expect
Explore the underground ossuary of the Catacombs of Paris and enter a mysterious underground world. Skip the long entrance queues with your guide.
Only groups accompanied by a guide can access the entire catacombs site. A number of the site's rooms are now closed to the general public, such as Décures sculptures, the quarries footbath, the Sacellum Crypt and the spuchral lamp and Gilbert's tomb. With this unique guided tour enjoy full access to the Catacombs of Paris and discover the real story behind this amazing site.
The Catacombs of Paris contain the bones of over 6 million people, and your guide will explain why this labyrinth of tunnels became an underground cemetery in the 18th century. Due to tight constraints on the number of visitors allowed inside each day, this is truly one of the hardest tickets to secure in town.
The name “Catacombs” was given to this ossuary in reference to the Catacombs of Rome, not far from the Appian Way. The Cemetery of the Innocents near Saint-Eustache, in the area of Les Halles, had been in use for nearly 10 centuries, but became a source of infection for the locals. Eventually the Council of State decided to prohibit its further use and to remove its contents. The Catacombs were the solution.
You will descend a narrow spiral stairwell to the darkness and silence below the city, broken by the gurgling of the hidden aqueduct. Then, walk through the cool and clammy corridors to see the bones and skulls of the long dead, pushed into caverns and embedded in the walls.
- Skip-the-line entrance ticket
- Guided tour
Catacombs de Paris:
1 Avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy, 75014 Paris
Metro Stop: Denfert Rochereau, line 6 or 4 or RER B.
Use exit 1.
What to Remember
• Please note that there is no restroom or cloakroom at the Catacombs
• The Catacombs are located 130 steps below ground, and another 83 steps to exit
• Please note that the temperature inside the Catacombs is 14°C/57°F
• As the Catacombs are comprised of a route through underground tunnels and caverns, the tour is not advised to anyone suffering from cardiac, respiratory weakness, or nervous disease, young children, or anyone with tendencies towards claustrophobia
• As entry is reserved for one group at one specific time slot, please
be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the beginning of the tour
• No refund will be possible in the case of late arrival