Enjoy a relaxed walking tour of the great Greenwich Village jazz scene in New York and visit swinging jazz joints and speakeasies. An expert guide will point out defunct clubs of legend, like the Cafe Society, where Billie Holiday made her downtown debut.
What to Expect
Discover the history and modern day jazz scene in New York on a leisurely walking tour of Greenwich Village. In the company of an expert jazz guide, visit the best clubs and see the best bands performing live - all cover charges are included in the tour price.
Move from club to club (typically 3 clubs per night) seeking out the energy for which the Village jazz scene is famous. Your guide will point out defunct clubs from jazz history, such as the Cafe Society, where Billie Holiday made her downtown debut, as well as other long gone clubs like Sweet Basil's, The Village Gate, and Cafe Bohemia, where Charles Mingus, Art Blakey and Miles Davis once introduced their latest compositions.
Sign up for a Monday night tour and see New York's oldest jazz joint to hear yesterday's trad’ jazz performed to salty perfection.
The tour ends smack in the middle of the best jazz scene in New York, where your guide will help you get to the next club on your own, or back to your hotel if you prefer. You're also invited to keep the party going at a jazz supper club in the neighborhood (tickets available at checkout).
- Friendly, knowledgeable, and flexible guide
- Cover charges to all clubs
- The chance to perform (if circumstances permit)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Formal dress is not required. Dress for comfort as you will be out in the open as well as in hot or cold clubs. These tours run in all kinds of weather. There will be some walking (up to 10 city blocks at a time) and subway stairs involved in the tour
• Photography is encouraged, but only of the musicians, not the other patrons and neighbors. Of course, friendships arise on this tour and photographs among friends is always okay
• Please note that this tour can be fitted to your particular interests, so please let your guide know what you like and hope to learn about the Village scene