Learn about america's worst catastrophe caused by Hurricane Katrina. Hear eyewitness accounts of this devastating natural and man-made disaster, and tour some of the worst affected neighborhoods in New Orleans.
What to Expect
Get a first hand account of the events leading upto Hurricane Katrina and the days immediately following the disaster on this neighborhood tour of New Orleans led by a professional local guide.
The tour begins in the historic French Quarter. Your guide will explain to you the direct connection that America’s disappearing coastal wetlands, and oil and gas pipelines have with the extreme destruction caused by recent hurricanes.
New Orleans is a city of neighborhoods, and on this tour you will travel through Lakeview, Gentilly, New Orleans East, St. Bernard, and the Ninth Ward, meeting locals who will provide us with personal accounts of Hurricane Katrina.
Be amazed at the volume and variety of products offloaded in the multimodal port of New Orleans, the second largest port in the in the country. After this tour, you’ll have a better understanding of events pre- and post-Katrina and the current “Rebirth of New Orleans!”
- Motorcoach transportation
- Professional tour guide
What's Not Included
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
Meet at Gray Line Lighthouse Ticket Office (Toulouse St.@ the Mississippi River in the French Quarter)
Know Before You Go
• The parking lot fee is approximately $11 to $13 for up to 4 or more hours unless it is a special event
• When you pass Rampart St., you are in the French Quarter. Please allow extra time due to heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic in the French Quarter at all times
• Tours will not be conducted on Mardi Gras Day and Thanksgiving Day
• The supplier provides handicap access for wheelchairs but not scooters or walkers. Vehicle lifts meet all ADA requirements and are equipped for wheelchair storage (based on availability). If wheelchairs can collapse and fold, staff will assist in securing the wheelchair in the vehicle. Handicap reservations must be made 48hrs in advance to secure availability. Contact information will be provided on your voucher