Walk through Old Delhi's chaotic streets with a personal guide and learn about India's street food culture. Experience the dizzy pace of daily life as you snack on tasty morsels while exploring the city’s rich heritage.
What to Expect
Delhi is considered the food capital of India, serving some of the world’s most mouth-watering dishes. On this 5-hour tour you will stroll down the nostalgic gullies (lanes) of Old Delhi and discover a rich culinary heritage.
Every lane and every window has a story to tell; often a story that is several centuries old. Experience the city with all your senses and soak up the colors, sounds, sights, aromas and tastes.
Explore the arched gateways of ornate havelis (old private mansions), see boys flying colorful kites on crumbling terraces and smell the sweet aroma of freshly-made chickpea curry.
You will visit the Kari Bawli Spice Market, one of the oldest wholesale spice markets in the world. Move on to the congested Khari Baoli market, where shops on both sides sell spices, nuts and herbs. Soak up the atmosphere and watch the unloading of the huge sacks via manual trolleys.
Try your bargaining skills at the street bazaars and pop into shops selling dress materials, rolls of fabrics, glass bangles, silk saris and Bindi. See the heritage home of the Persian poet Mirza Galib in Ballimaran and pass stores that stock wedding garlands and bridal jewelry
You will pause for dinner at Karim’s Restaurant, and catch the mind-blowing aroma of its delicacies. Responsible for producing the royal cooks of the Mughal Rulers, it has been serving superb food for over 80 years.
Here you will enjoy some of the world`s best Mughlai cuisine, including chicken korma, seekh kabas and mutton burra.
You can end the tour here, or whenever you feel that you have seen enough - or spent too much money! You will be returned to your accommodation by cab.
- Pick-up and drop-off
- English speaking guide
- Entrance fees and transport as indicated
- Sealed water bottle
What's Not Included
- Supplement for other language guide (German, Italian, French, Spanish, Russian...)
Pick-up and drop-off from hotel/ home/airport by air conditioned private cab. Your pick-up location must be within Delhi (India)
What to Remember
• Try to avoid the tour on Sunday as the Old Delhi area remains closed on Sundays. If you wish to take the tour on a Sunday then only the street food section of the tour will be possible. We will introduce you to other famous areas for street food to make up the time.
• To get the most from the tour you should allow a couple of hours for walking and browsing. The tour is best started at around 16:00 during summer, as the heat of the day begins to fade. However, you can take the tour at any time. The shops are open from around 10:00 through 22:00, seven days a week.
• Please wear comfortable walking shoes, bring a bottle of water, your camera, plenty of money and a credit/debit card
• A supplement cost will apply if you require a guide in any other language: eg. German, Italian, French, Spanish, Russian