Pompeii: Small-Group Tour with an Archeologist
A GetYourGuide Original
The ultimate tour experience
- Unforgettable local guides
- Personalized experience
- Hidden highlights
- Priority access
- Full refund if you didn't enjoy the tour
Love where you're going, guaranteedWith a GetYourGuide Originals tour, you can enjoy complimentary rescheduling if you’re late or plans change, and a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied after taking your tour.
Unforgettable local guidesLed only by 5-star guides and local aficionados, you can expect intriguing insights, fun facts, and stories from the people who call your destination home.
Personalized experienceA maximum of 20 people on your tour, which means you'll enjoy a more interactive, personalized experience.
Top sights (and hidden ones, too)On an Originals tour, you'll discover lesser-known treasures that other visitors often miss, bringing you a deeper understanding of your destination.
Priority access — more time to exploreLong line? We'll show you how to skip it. Packed out sights? Follow us to the secret quiet spots. On Originals tours, you can explore in ways that others can't.
The Original experience
- Discover a UNESCO World Heritage Site with an expert archeological guide
- Choose from either a small-group or private experience
- Beat long waiting times with skip-the-ticket-line access
- Visit highlights such as the Great Theater and Forum
- Appreciate preserved frescoes, artwork and mosaics up close
- Discover the history of the ancient city of Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius
Choose the experience you would like to have, with the choice of either a shared small-group tour or a private tour for your group alone.
Start by skipping the line when you enter the city at Porta Marina Superiore, one of the ancient city’s seven gates. Walk the main streets and wander around the Forum, the old heart of the city and the center of public life. From here you can see Mount Vesuvius overlooking the city.
Discover constructions such as the Basilica (business and legal center), Thermal Baths, Temples, Bakery and Great Theater of Pompeii. Listen to interesting anecdotes from your archeological guide, who will tell you about people who lived in Pompeii. Even peek at plaster casts of people who were in the city at the time of the eruption.
See artworks, mosaics and frescoes in various places that are well-maintained and will take you back nearly 2000 years. Highlights include the House of the Vetti and the Lupanar Brothel. Find out how this famous brothel got its name and see its preserved stone beds and frescoes.
Get great tips from your guide at the end of the tour about how to spend the rest of your day. Get directions to the Sanctuary Dedicated to Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, the local cathedral that is located close to the excavation site. You can also get directed to the Amphitheater and Orto dei Fuggiaschi.
- Guided tour by an archeologist
- Skip-the-ticket-line access
- Headsets for listening to the guide (available for groups of 16 or more)
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
• Meet at the 'Porta Marina Superiore' gate, located in front of Hortus Restaurant & Garden Bar • Look for a guide wearing GetYourGuide attire and holding a red GetYourGuide flag • By train: If you are staying in Naples or Sorrento, you can take the Circumvesuviana train. From Naples: take the train leaving for Sorrento and get off at 'Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri'. The main entrance of Pompeii where the tour operator will meet you, Porta Marina Superiore, is only a few steps away. • By car: You can park at Camping Spartacus. Address: Via Plinio, 127. The meeting point is a 5-minute walk away.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun hat
• There may be slight variations in the itinerary due to overcrowding or temporary closure
• A free cloakroom service is located next to the Porta Marina Superiore entrance (subject to availability)
• Smoking is not allowed on the site
• Dogs larger than 5 kg are not allowed on the site
• Large backpacks, bags or umbrellas and other bulky items are not allowed on the site (maximum 30 x 30 x 15 cm)
• This tour is not accessible for those with mobility impairments