Take a magical 2-hour train journey into the Bavarian alpine countryside and learn about the mystery and legends behind mad King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Visit his fairytale castle of Neuschwanstein and enjoy sweeping views of the surroundings.
What to Expect
Towering over rocky crags at the foot of the German Alps, Neuschwanstein Castle has inspired awe and wonder ever since it opened to the public in 1886. This full-day tour is a fairytale adventure that is not to be missed. Departing from Munich, take a 2-hour train journey through the majestic Bavarian countryside to the idyllic setting of Neuschwanstein.
On arrival, enjoy the splendor of the village of Hohenschwangau, and continue to Neuschwanstein's neighboring castle. Hear about the famous legend of Lohengrin as you look over the Alpsee.
A short climb up to the Marienbrücke reveals picture-perfect views of the 19th-Century, neo-romantic masterpiece, as well as the gorge beneath. From the courtyard, listen as your guide tells the story of the budget-busting, problematic construction of Neuschwanstein Castle. Whether you choose to take the 45-minute tour inside the castle (at an extra cost of EUR 12), or decide to invest the time and money in one of the quintessentially Bavarian beer gardens, while the guide describes the lavish castle interior, the tour will leave you wanting for nothing in the epic story of Neuschwanstein Castle and “Mad King Ludwig II.”
Hear about the life and passions of Ludwig and discover the story behind his mysterious death. You will also enjoy stunning views of the Bavarian countryside and Alps, the Marienbrücke Bridge, the Swan King, Hohenschwangau Castle, Pöllath Waterfall and Gorge, and much more. If the weather is particularly good, there will also be the chance to take a dip in the Alpsee lake, so bring your swimming things.
What's Not Included
- Entrance to the castle (EUR 12)
- In order to indulge in the finest views of Newschwanstein, you must climb the castle hill
- A bus or carriage ride up the hill is available for EUR 2.60 and EUR 6 respectively
Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Meet your guide at Munich Main Train Station (München Hauptbahnhof), outside Starbucks Cafe on Track 11
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Remember to bring quality footwear for the uphill walks
• Children under 13 accompanied by a parent are welcome for free
• The tour arrives back to Munich at approximately 18:30 during winter and 19:00 during summer
• Entrance to the castle is EUR 12 - this can be purchased from your representative on the day of the tour