Explore the fairytale Neuschwanstein Castle and the enchanting old-world town of Füssen, framed by one of the most breathtaking natural settings in the world. Take a 2-hour train ride through majestic Bavarian landscapes.
What to Expect
Located 2 hours from Munich, the enchanting old-world town of Füssen lies in the foot hills of the Alps, framed by one of the most breathtaking natural settings in the world. Towering far above the village, seemingly sculpted out of the very mountains that rise magnificently to the heavens, is a sight made from the stuff of dreams: the fabulous and ethereal Neuschwanstein Castle.
This glorious folly was built in the 19th-Century by the famed "mad" King Ludwig II, a man intoxicated by mythology and who himself became a legend. The shimmering white towers of the castle among the clouds are instantly recognizable to many who haven’t ever heard the name Neuschwanstein. It is the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle, and is famous the world over as the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle.
To visit it is to step inside a fairy tale. On this full-day tour from Munich, your guide will take you by train and accompany you uphill to the castle’s lofty perch, where it sits gleaming above a spectacular panorama of mountains, lakes and valleys. It’s not just about the castle – it’s also about its wonderful location. You will go to the best vantage points and explore the lake. If time and weather permits, you can even enjoy a swim. Get postcard-perfect views of the equally beautiful Hohenschwangau Castle, the waterfall gorge, and the stunning Marienbrücke Bridge, suspended high above it all.
While you are marveling at the beauty, your guide will tell you the engaging story of King Ludwig’s renowned and tragic reign, of his turbulent times, and of the obsession that drove him to build his fantasy castle in the mountains and ultimately destroyed him. Skip the long lines for the separate internal tour of the king’s private chambers by a specialist castle guide. The tour is the most practical way to enter this amazing fantasy-world.
- Transport on the 2-hour train journey from Munich to Füssen and back
- Fully-guided tour accompanied by an English-speaking guide
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up
- Optional EUR 12 castle entry fee for over 18 year olds, payable directly to the vendor on the morning of the tour
Radius Tours office in Munich Central Train Station (Hauptbahnhof), located in the area just across from tracks 32-34. Please note that the time given is the departure time. Please be at the office approximately 15 minutes before the given departure time.
What to Remember
• Please note: This tour involves an uphill walk of approximately 20 minutes. At points, the gradient can be relatively steep. The tour is not recommended it for anyone with serious walking difficulties. If you prefer not to walk uphill, an optional horse-drawn carriage will take you most (but not all) of the way to the top. There is also an option of taking a bus uphill.
• Don’t forget to bring appropriate footwear