Early privileged visit to the magnificent and uncrowded Montserrat mountain and sanctuary, followed by an unforgettable visit with brunch to the hidden treasure at Montserrat Mountain “Santa Cecilia Church”.
What to Expect
Start your day trip from Barcelona in a comfortable luxury micro-bus to the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically to 4,051 feet (1,236 meters). The rocks of Montserrat were formed by sand over the centuries, and the wind and rain shaped the mountain with strange and varied forms. Many people believe they have seen human or animal shapes in some of these peaks, giving them names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip to Montserrat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breathtaking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
You will enjoy an early visit to the Royal Basilica of Montserrat before it gets crowded. This sanctuary holds the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna). You will be able to see this famous statue from a distance. The Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat was founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia, who is enshrined in the monastery's Royal Basilica. The little monastery soon began to receive pilgrims and visitors who contributed to the spread of stories of miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Today, Montserrat has been modernized to continue attending to the needs of pilgrims, one thousand years after it was founded.
You will be given some free time to visit the audiovisual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat, and taste typical liquors of Montserrat. After the visit you'll be taken to the Montserrat hidden treasure, the ancient monastery of Santa Cecilia de Montserrat, located in a peaceful place on a terrace offering extraordinary views of the emblematic cliffs of Montserrat, the valleys and also the Pyrenees on clear days.
You will enjoy an audio-guided visit of the church that is one of the most outstanding examples of Romanesque architecture in the region. What's more, you can also see the paintings of contemporary Irish artist, Sean Scully, maintaining the contemplative and meditative atmosphere of the church.
After the visit you'll be ready for a delicious brunch paired with wines on the porch or beautiful courtyard inside the enclosure. After the brunch you'll return to Barcelona.
- Air conditioned luxury micro-bus
- English guide
- Taste 4 typical liquors handmade by the monks of the Royal Basilica of Montserrat
- Entrance to the audiovisual exhibition in Royal Basilica of Montserrat “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary, and explains the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site
- Entrance and audio-guided visit to Santa Cecilia Church
- Brunch at Santa Cecilia Church composed of:
- Three “tapas” of the typical gastronomy of the area, paired with a cup of white wine, a cup of black wine and a cup of “cava”, a typical sparkling wine of Catalonia
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Know Before You Go
• Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals
•Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, so come prepared and wear comfortable clothes and shoes
• Montserrat has a mountainous climate; depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold