Taste the real Tuscany on a food tour of the oh-so-charming Pistoia. Wander the historic streets, explore the bustling daily market and delicatessen shops, then dig into a scrumptious brunch of true Tuscan flavors. La dolce vita indeed.
What to Expect
Pistoia has been declared Italy’s Capital of Culture for 2017, so now is the time to get a head start and discover it.
Located at the foot of the Appennine Mountains, Pistoia is the new alternative destination in Tuscany. It has a number of beautiful churches and squares dating back from the 11th century, and boasts a lively vibe of its own totally unique character. It’s also easy to reach because of its position between Florence and Lucca in the heart of Tuscany.
Your Pistoia tour will start with a walk to the center of the old city. Explore the medieval narrow lanes all around the ancient Sala Square that dates back to the 8th century.
From there, you’ll get your first taste of the city’s great atmosphere, as you walk through the local market with stalls full of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. You’ll also check out some of the many traditional delis and shops, tasting different local products such as schiacciata (a type of savory flat bread that pairs well with pecorino and caprino cheeses) and much more.
After the snack stop, explore the beautiful Duomo Square and learn the history of San Zeno Cathedral with the silver St. James altar made by the Renaissance master Filippo Brunelleschi. You'll also visit sites such as the old Baptistery which dates back to 1300, the old Town Hall where the elders used to rule the medieval city, Pretorio Palace and the historic frieze of the Ceppo Pilgrimage Hospital.
Finish up your Pistoia tour with a delicious Tuscan brunch in a historic restaurant. Taste the different kinds of cured meats such as finocchiona salami, mortadella, and prosciutto crudo, paired with bruschetta and extra virgin olive oil made in the Pistoia hills. And of course, wash it all down with some good local wine. Last but not least, finish up our meal with a selection of handmade desserts.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and drinks as indicated
What's Not Included
- Transportation to/ from Pistoia
- Additional food and drink
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips/ gratuities for your guide
Pistoia Railway Station, under the taxi sign
Know Before You Go
• Please wear comfortable shoes for walking
• Child-friendly tour
• Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking
• Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page