Milford Sound: Full Day Guided Hike and Scenic Cruise
- Experience the natural wonders of Milford Sound on land and water
- Enjoy a guided hike along the Milford Track with a local guide
- Admire picturesque Mitre Peak and watch for playful dolphins and lazy seals on a scenic boat cruise
The walk will take you alongside the cascading Arthur River and then on to Lake Ada. Stop at Giant's Gate Waterfall, a stunning and much-photographed site that is best viewed from the large swing bridge.
In the afternoon you’ll enjoy the awe-inspiring scenery of the Milford Sound from the comfort of a modern, spacious boat. With outstanding viewing opportunities, you’ll take in the geological drama of sheer cliffs, massive waterfalls and more.
Be on the lookout for wildlife, such as seals basking on the rocks or dolphins playing near the boat.
- 4.5-hour guided walk
- Professional hiking guide (1 guide to 12 participants)
- Water taxi from Milford Sound to the Milford Track and return
- Safety gear
- Hot drinks
- Milford Sound scenic boat cruise (1 hour 40 minutes)
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food (unless option is chosen)
- Children under 8 years
Prepare for the activity
It is an approximately two-hour drive to Milford Sound from Te Anau. You will need time to park, so a 6:00 AM departure from Te Anau is recommended. Milford Sound Tourism has now implemented paid parking in the main Milford car parks; the cost is set at $10 per hour, payable by credit card only, and will apply to the paved car parks. The gravel overflow car park on Deepwater Basin Road provides free parking. From there, it is a 20-minute walk or a free shuttle ride to the main terminal building meeting point.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Warm clothing
- Rain gear
It is recommended that you bring the following on the Milford Track guided walk: comfortable shoes, day pack containing warm sweater/fleece jacket, waterproof jacket, insect repellent, drinking water, snacks and a camera. You should also bring a change of clothing and shoes in case of a wet day. Milford Sound is known for rainfall so you should be prepared.