Milford Sound: Cruise, Underwater Observatory, and Lunch
- Luxuriate in the beauty of Milford Sound on one of the longest daytime experiences available in the fiord
- Immerse yourself in a mysterious undersea world at the Milford Sound Underwater Observatory
- Listen to lively and informative commentary on the fiord’s history, geology, and wildlife from a specialist nature guide
- Savor a delicious picnic lunch onboard or feel free to bring your own
- Taste pure glacial water straight from the waterfalls and stand under Stirling Falls
Climb aboard a purpose-built catamaran at the Milford Sound Cruise Terminal to discover more of the fiord on an authentic and insightful experience. Get within touching distance of impressive rock walls and waterfalls. Join the skipper in the open wheelhouse and say hello to the native seals basking on the rocks as you pass them by. Knowledgeable local nature guides will ensure you discover the wildlife, nature, and history of this remarkable sanctuary. Enjoy a delicious picnic or hot buffet lunch onboard.
Visit the Milford Sound Underwater Observatory, New Zealand's only floating underwater observatory for an experience unlike any other. Hidden under the surface in Harrison Cove in the middle of Piopiotahi Marine Reserve, the Observatory enables you to experience a different perspective of the fiord. Descend 64 steps (10-metres) underwater into a large, fully air-conditioned viewing area and peer out through large windows at the deep underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it’s the people who are contained.
- Milford Sound cruise
- Milford Sound Underwater Observatory
- Picnic lunch
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Access to top deck for viewing and panoramic photo opportunities
- Large viewing windows and covered seating area
Prepare for the activity
Milford Sound Visitor Centre, Freshwater Basin, Milford Sound, New Zealand. Be sure to allow 5 hours driving time from Queenstown and just over 2 hours from Te Anau or opt for a coach and cruise option departing from Queenstown or Te Anau (available to book on GetYourGuide).Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Warm clothing
- Insect repellent
• All vessels are fully licensed with a range of beverages plus a selection of snack foods. Note that smoking is not permitted on any of the vessels.
• Timetables, cruise departures and vessels may vary. In the interest of your safety, the local operator may cancel any cruise at any time due to unsafe weather conditions or boat maintenance.